47 jeep troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 47 jeep troubles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
lancedilley
1947 CJ2A 

47 jeep troubles

i have a 47 jeep willys cj 2a, i have a 350edlebrock motor i would like to put in it, and im not sure how to go about it. I guess the question is more about the type of tranny and axles i should use, i have all the stock parts and i do have a 350 4 speed tranny from my 77 chevy wich is way to long it would make my drive shaft about 8 inches long. It would be nice if i could use the stock parts so i wouldnt have to change much but im dont know if they would hold up.

lancedilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The question is
what do you plan to do with it.
The answer to this question will drive your axle and drivetrain choices.
Personally, I would opt for a V6 in lieu of the SBC. Given you probably already have one, this may not be a choice.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

well the stock stuff had to deal with like 60hp. you would need a right foot that is lighter than air.
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
well the stock stuff had to deal with like 60hp. you would need a right foot that is lighter than air.
Yes, but that does work and you actually can keep a D25 alive using a 350. Just no lockers, nothing bigger than 33's and a very light right foot when in 4x4. The stock rear axle should be a D41 which is much stronger than the front but if you get on it, the hub keys will likely shear. The D41's are actually just as strong as the similar 2 piece axle versions of the D44 but you have a rather limited gearing selection: 5.38:1.

If you desire to stick with narrow track and the D18 transfercase (which has several good attributes for use in a short Jeep, including the low rear output, available overdrive, and the fact that both pumpkins are in-line which make line selection easier), an offset flanged axle rear D44 out of a 70.5-71 CJ 5/6 is the best stock axle, and a disc brake narrow track D30 for the front from a 76 or later for the front. There are countless other options but none are really bolt-in.

The D18 can handle the power and someplace down the road, you can build a super D18 using a D20 case and the D18 internals. If it was mine, I would do this up front when installing the transmission adapter. I assume by 4 sp you mean the SM465 truck version? That is the best transmission for this conversion and works very well with an overdrive in the D18 and also makes for the shortest transmission length.

Another item that should be addressed is the frame. The 2A's use a lighter gage material than the later CJ's and they were strapped. My experience has been that the strapping was woefully inadequate and they all eventually break if the vehicle is actually used for a Jeep. Box it-entirely!

It will not stop there. You will want Saginaw power steering also and possibly both front and rear disc brakes. In short, a new vehicle with old sheet metal. Or maybe new sheet metal
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
lancedilley
1947 CJ2A 

well thanks guys ill take some of your advise and keep you informed on the project, even though i think the the cheep might have to wait until winter after we slow down some at work. once again thank you i dont know much about jeeps so the more help i get the better
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
lancedilley
1947 CJ2A 

well we got into the project, we cut out all the old steel and welded all new in, we put the springs over the axle with a three inch body lift we had machined out of stainless, converted the t90 to the 350, and now im wondering how i can convert my cheep to power steering or what other models system will work with my 350 I still have the chevy pump and steering box, i was wondering if i could use that if im careful while turning.
Unread 06-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
lancedilley
1947 CJ2A 

And were having a mud bogg in my bottoms on the fourth of july so im really hoping to have it done it would mean alot to my buddies that been stopping buy during the project if we could show it off. Ill try figuring out my phone so i can show you guys all the pictures, were damn proud of it so far but the mud will be the real test. thanks again
Unread 06-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancedilley View Post
well we got into the project, we cut out all the old steel and welded all new in, we put the springs over the axle with a three inch body lift we had machined out of stainless, converted the t90 to the 350, and now im wondering how i can convert my cheep to power steering or what other models system will work with my 350 I still have the chevy pump and steering box, i was wondering if i could use that if im careful while turning.
It is doable and fairly common.
You will need a Saginaw (GM) steering box
Plate steel
3/4"roundstock
A tie rod conversion kit or the ability to modify an existing one
Misc parts and pieces.
What your going to do is mimic a 72 and later CJ setup by mounting the box on the left front frame rail.
Do a search, there are a number of good writeups on the subject.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.