42re transmission no reverse after rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 42re transmission no reverse after rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
HopFarmer

42re transmission no reverse after rebuild

Problem: 42RE will not go in reverse, shift to third or fourth, and engine will not act as a brake during deceleration.
Events leading up to present:
I purchased a 2000 Grand Cherokee with an overheated engine due to radiator crack and the guy said transmission was starting to act up also. I rebuilt the engine which works fine, but my 42re overhaul on the other hand isn’t going so well. I have the factory service manual and have gone through it numerous times. No codes using my snap on brick. After my road test and pressure gauge test I pulled the transmission and went through the entire valve body again, transmission and overdive section and could not locate anything wrong.

Air tests activate the bands and from what I can tell both front and rear clutches make the proper “thud”.

Before I removed the transmission using my pressure gauges I did the reverse test and had erratic movement on the rear servo port (210-260psi) when throttle lever is open and 145-175 psi with throttle lever closed. Has anyone seen this erratic movement during a reverse pressure test, couldn’t find info if this is normal...doesn’t seem right

Could the issue be how I compressed the overdrive direct clutch pack (using home made setup)? I am using another 42re driveshaft during compressing and releasing so the alignment stays. Depending on how I hold pressure on the shaft while releasing affects how easily the spare shaft slides in and out? Could the direct clutch possibly be binding causing any issues?
I don’t want to install this and have the same issues and have to remove that transmission again to fix the problem so hopefully someone has seen this problem before. Thank you!

HopFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.