post #1 of Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

42RE bolt patterns

Really simple... Is the bolt pattern the same between the 3.9L Dakota 42RE and the 4.0 I6 Jeep 42RE?

I picked up a 42RE trans to rebuild for my Jeep, and didn't realize until just now that I think it came out of a Dakota, based on the torque converter that came with it.

Is there any other differences between them?

---------------
NeonHomer
Mid-Florida Jeep Club - Member
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
post #2 of Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The starter mounts on the opposite sides of the bellhousing, all the guts are interchangeable though. If you are seeing a difference in torque convertors its probably because they changed them in 97. The difference is a balanced converter vs neutral balance. The older converters had one bolt offset and the newer ones were an exact 90* pattern. You can swap converters but you will need to use the proper flexplate too.
post #3 of Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

The converter I have is stamped "E781", which comes back to a 3.9L V6, and has a ring gear on it.

The converter for my Jeep has no ring gear.

I have another 42RE case sitting in my friend's storage unit. As long as the internals are the same, I can always just put the internals out of this JY trans into my other case.

---------------
NeonHomer
Mid-Florida Jeep Club - Member
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)