4 Wheel drive question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4 Wheel drive question

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
jpledger

4 Wheel drive question

Last night I shifted into four wheel drive and it was whining a little bit and then when I got where I was going my Jeep kinda jolted a little and then it was driving like I had a flat tire. Once I shifted out of 4 wheel drive it was fine. Any ideas????

jpledger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Red Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you were driving on a hard surfaced road and either your tires are not all the same size or your tire pressures are not equal.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
WranglingMI
Michigan

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would check the tire pressure like Red Rubicon suggested. When I use 4wd, my TJ whines for about 30 seconds and then stops. You might want to change the front diff gear oil, not sure if that would make a difference but I recently changed mine and overall 4wd is MUCH less clunky. Thinner oil in the winter is suggested if your in the north but I use a 80w gear oil in Michigan because I am around 200,000 miles. Just a suggestion.
WranglingMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
jpledger

It is a 2005 wrangler sport straight 6 with a stock transmission. I have brand new tires on it. Has nothing to do with the tires just felt like the 4 wheel drive was wobbly or something. Have switched it in to 4 wheel drive since then and it doesnt act like anything is wrong with it. May have just been a gremlin.
jpledger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
WranglingMI
Michigan

1998 TJ Wrangler 

When was the last time you used 4wd since the problem started? When I bought my 98 its 4wd hadn't been used it at least 6 years. I replaced the front diff oil. Took me at least a half hour to get the handle to move into 4wd, after that it was clunky for about 5 miles and then smoothed out. Beats me, glad its working for you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.