4.8 vortec ... Swap - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

4.8 vortec ... Swap

Hey All!

SO, I posted last week about doing the 350 swap and was asking questions about the transmission and the axles... Well I bought a 350 out of a roadster and just sold it for more then what I bought it for! Reason was I got a 4.8 V8 VORTEC for free runs great!

I was wondering if this info I got was true...
- the AX15 5 spd manual (which I have) is good and holds up
- Stock 30 axle which I have is also good
- I will have to upgrade my rear axle
- And the transfer case will be fine from my jeep

I have a 2001 Jeep TJ (Wrangler). Was curious if this was true I'd love to keep the AX15 mine was just rebuilt last spring!

Let me know any information or tips... As for WHY the 4.8 L because my engine is getting old and I got it for free haha!

__________________________________________________ _____________
Respect each new sunrize

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Scott_A
1979 CJ7 

I have a 4.8 V8 that I swapped into my CJ7. Its a great swap, plenty of power. I currently have a T176 4 speed behind it and its holding up OK and I plan to swap in an AX15 in the future. Its well accepted that the AX15 is tough and will take a fair amount of abuse behind a stock v8. I used Novak motor mounts and transmission adapters with good results. I did my own wiring and PCM tuning, but you can also farm that out. Its a lot of work, but totally worth the effort. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thanks for the REPLY! That's what I wanted to hear! I was about to put the 350 into plan but I really didn't want to change my tranny I love that AX15!

Hoping the engine I have won't need too many new parts runs great, but you never know until you take it apart.

Very excited for this as its a project with my grandfather who built 3 with 350s. I thought the 350 was too big for what I want it for! I'll def make a thread and take photos so for anyone else that wants to do it will have something to reference.

Thanks again for the response I really appreciate it !

post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2016, 01:21 AM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Your list is accurate, the rear axle would probably be considered the weakest link, somebody will probably chime in later saying how tough and how long their D35 has lasted though. It's not going to snap in two pieces instantly though and with mild and sensible driving habits it can last a long time.

Things to consider doing to the 4.8 while its out are the rear main seal and cover/plate, the aluminum plate is known to cause an oil leak and can be replaced cheap and easily. Maybe reseal the oil pan and valve covers too. There is also a little plate above the oil filter on the block whether it had a oil cooler or block off plate, that gasket is known to leak. If you have the intake manifold off it may be good insurance to replace the knock sensors and harness for the sensors since they are problematic. Also look at the exhaust manifold bolts, make sure they are not missing/broken. Other than that they are good engines, oh yeah it seems like water pumps like to leak on those too. All things mentioned above are what I find wrong on most the 4.8/5.3/6.0's I have worked on and the parts can be sourced from an auto parts store and of course dealers.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Rookie17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the engine is being rebuilt, right now it's just sitting. Waiting on the parts to come in. Really appreciate the pointers and advice/what to look for! I actually picked up a 350 sb as well killer deal just in case the 4.8 had issues. New tranny is ordered, now I hope I can salvage a rear 44!!

Slowly but surely so far so good.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 AM
trooper328
1999 TJ Wrangler 

4.3 swap

Hey there, hope you guys are still looking at this.....my question is....how did you marry up the jeep fuel lines with the fuel rail fittings on the vortec....Ive got the novak adapter for my fuel pump....just cant for the life of me find an adapter for the threaded fuel rails and the quick connect fuel line....thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.