4.7 Stroker Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.7 Stroker Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #31
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
im going for a certain power range using specific components that i want.

Golen's stroker is 4.6L and will only produce 260ish horsepower - im shooting for 300+; im also using particular components like a special 12 counterweight crankshaft that finding is extremely difficult.

thanks for the concern though
Keep in mind that in order to achieve 300+ HP, you'll need some big compression. That cast iron head may give you some problems. 260 is nothing to sneeze at but 260 or even 300 horses are way up in the RPM's and in the Jeep world, you are actually looking for torque. It will be quite strong on a 4.5, 4.6, or 4.7 and up. On the 4.7L I would think you'll be in the 330 lb/ft range with no problem. Go to the link titled "Jeep 4.0..." in the post above and then click on "favorite links" up top. Down at the bottom of the page there are some interesting links and one tackles HP & Torque. In this same build link, click on "stroker" and read it. It gets into specific builds for all size strokers.

This will keep inquiring minds busy for a while!!!

12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #32
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
RPM Machine, Daymon is a very easy person to deal with. knowledgeable, but inaccurate. if you order through them, make sure you know what you want and the issues that come with it before you talk to him

for example, he told me i needed to remove the main girdle and that spacing it would not work. SILLYNESS
I ended up using an SAE 3/8" grade 8 washer on my girdle. It gives you the required clearance.
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Unread 07-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #33
Jkanly

Hmm...

What mpg are you guys getting with your Titan strokers? I've got a little money thats burning a hole in my pocket and you guys have got me all inspired

Last edited by Jkanly; 07-02-2008 at 08:34 PM..
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #34
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

thanks george, you've been a great help

i was hoping on sticking with about a 9.5:1 compression and do some major head work to get to 300 - if it comes to it i'll go with an aluminum head and maybe go up to 11:1

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #35
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
thanks george, you've been a great help

i was hoping on sticking with about a 9.5:1 compression and do some major head work to get to 300 - if it comes to it i'll go with an aluminum head and maybe go up to 11:1
go find the thread on PBB from YJ and Corey. About his 400hp pump gas turbo motor in the hardcore section. He has some nice pics of a head cut open. It appears there isn't a lot to port in the casting.

edit
I'm feeling generous
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=400

heres an intake
Unread 07-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #36
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

looks as though i'll need to go with aluminum but man that is a lot of money

Unread 07-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #37
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkanly View Post
Hmm...

What mpg are you guys getting with your Titan strokers? I've got a little money thats burning a hole in my pocket and you guys have got me all inspired
I don't know yet...
see my threads in reference to the "Katrina Jeep..." for more info. I just finished assembling the long block. I will tell you that in the first two links I listed a couple of posts above, Dino is getting very good economy out of his 4.6 stroker in a Cherokee. Of hand, I want to say he boasts of 20 mpg! Check it out, its a good read.
Yeah, I built it!

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Unread 07-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #38
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
looks as though i'll need to go with aluminum but man that is a lot of money
Yeah, I agree. I wanted alot of ponies too but my machinist talked me out of all the trouble and expense. He pointed at my Mustang and said put the HP out there and put the torque in here. I agreed and let him cut my pistons enough to keep my compression at about 9.2:1. My torque should be somewhere around 325-330 lb/ft and the ponies around 250! I'm not complaining...
Yeah, I built it!

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Last edited by George Dickel; 01-21-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Unread 07-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #39
George Dickel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
go find the thread on PBB from YJ and Corey. About his 400hp pump gas turbo motor in the hardcore section. He has some nice pics of a head cut open. It appears there isn't a lot to port in the casting.

edit
I'm feeling generous
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=400

heres an intake
I think I'm glad I didn't see this before I ported/polished my head. I had never done that before and followed the instructions from the Standard Abrasives website. I did a good job and didn't screw it up but I didn't remove a ton of material either!!!

speaking of which, here's the link if anyone needs it:
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

there's some other good tutorials there too!
Yeah, I built it!

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Unread 07-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #40
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Theres room to improve the flow in there. It'll be a minimal amount. I think you would need a flow bench to realize any real gain. Port matching is probably the biggest bang for the buck.
Spyder,
Considering you have a 12 weight crank. You would do better focusing on building for max torque and let the hp just happen. Since it will take a lot more energy (fuel) to spin that rotating assy fast. The recipes on the web work and are easy to duplicate.
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #41
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i guess i'll just order out a the kit as is for mid grade fuel and leave in the stock camshaft and do a valve job

that will keep me from having to get a new radiator

Unread 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #42
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

supposedly the Crane truck cam is decent
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #43
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

ive just heard a lot of stuff about how aftermarket cams have snapped - im leery

Unread 07-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #44
PBR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i heard comp cams are good.

Well i have almost 1000 miles on my titan 4.6L stroker and right now im not very satisfied! Everything else is stock like header, airbox, and throttle body. It seems to not have the power on the highway as my 4.0L did. I dont know if getting some aftermarket add ons will help. Tomorrow im going to change the oil and see if that makes a difference. Any info or help to get all the power out of this SOB will be great cuz right now im pissed that i bought it and should have went v8!
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #45
Jkanly

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTJ35 View Post
i heard comp cams are good.

Well i have almost 1000 miles on my titan 4.6L stroker and right now im not very satisfied! Everything else is stock like header, airbox, and throttle body. It seems to not have the power on the highway as my 4.0L did. I dont know if getting some aftermarket add ons will help. Tomorrow im going to change the oil and see if that makes a difference. Any info or help to get all the power out of this SOB will be great cuz right now im pissed that i bought it and should have went v8!
Really? Thats pretty surprising. I heard that its not the best highway motor, but I didn't think that it would be that bad. Any idea about the specs of the engine? Is it the 12 counterweight crank? Most of the people that do the titan stroker swap end up going with aftermarket headers, intake, and such. maybe its not a bad idea to toss those in and see what happens?
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.