4.7 ho head gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.7 ho head gasket?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
luckytrucker

4.7 ho head gasket?

Ok my wifes jeep is being a pain lately some back story water pump started,leaking water out seep hole replaced pump changed oil did brakes all around next day wife takes to some get together she said making knocking noise on way home took it to garage looking around pulled valve covers rocker fell off replaced rockers, springs, adjusters fired up bleed system sounded good checked out 2 days later water in radiator low about cup or two she said it sounded like water gurgling in car thought it was heater core filled with water and started looking for leak couldnt find one anywhere in floorboard or out of car went out next day realized had white smoje at start up till warm so did block test found combustion gases in radiator checked oil dip atick no visible sign od water but under cap can see some white gunk or something looked like might be water in oil but not much going to tear heads off this weekend kinda on a budget cause now cause spent quite abit on parya already going to send heads to shop to have checked out and replace gasket since there wad small aign of water in oil should i replace bearings on crank and rings or can i flush moter once running and be ok i know i should rebuild if doing that much but on budget like i said this has been great car and had oil changed every 3thousand with full synthetic mobil since 90000 when i got it it is at 174000 now just wanting some opinons thanks

luckytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
luckytrucker

Sorry for spelling on phone the reason i asked this was i had sone people telling me getting coolant in oil could mess up the bearings and wasnt sure thnx again
Unread 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you do the upper end of an engine you run a small risk of having great compression on top of aworn bottom end. How many miles and was it running good before. If you have been the owner for a long time and know the maintenance has been good if it has life left in it run it till it drops. Take a look at the top of the cylinders while the heads is removed and see how much of a ridge you have if it is less than .005 run it if it is more I would at least run a cylinder hone in their.

As for the reassembly and flushing an engine personally I would do this. Reassemble and just drain theoil before starting. Put in some cheap fresh oil run for a few days or at least more than 100 miles and change oil and filter then put back in you synthetic. Should be good.i

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
luckytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462
When you do the upper end of an engine you run a small risk of having great compression on top of aworn bottom end. How many miles and was it running good before. If you have been the owner for a long time and know the maintenance has been good if it has life left in it run it till it drops. Take a look at the top of the cylinders while the heads is removed and see how much of a ridge you have if it is less than .005 run it if it is more I would at least run a cylinder hone in their.

As for the reassembly and flushing an engine personally I would do this. Reassemble and just drain theoil before starting. Put in some cheap fresh oil run for a few days or at least more than 100 miles and change oil and filter then put back in you synthetic. Should be good.i
Thanks engine not exactly sure how long it was ran not to far but not sure exactly when gasket blew after water pump or rocker arm car still ran great no overheat while i was looking for problem ran like always been,very well maintained oil and filters changed religiously so hopefully that helps thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.