4.6 stroker build vs 4.6 crate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.6 stroker build vs 4.6 crate

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
WhY402Jay
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to build a 4.6. There are quite a few of parts I will need to upgrade, plus the machine work I can't do myself. My friend built one a few years ago and his total was about 3900 including his injectors.

I'd need to buy junk 4.0 and piece my build together.

Would a crate stroker be worth the money or should I just take my time and learn a new realm of modification I have been reluctant to explore?

Unread 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you dont have the tools,time,knowledge of how to assemble an engine the answer is buy a pre assembled crate engine and install it. No fun having a pile of parts that you cant make work sitting in your garage. You have a garage right?

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
WhY402Jay
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have all the tools but I have lots if time. I've learned a lot already about the build and everything involved and it all seems straightfoward. I know a guy who built one, too. I read about someone who bought parts individually, not a kit, and the overall cost with the core of his old one was less than $1000. Since I have a 2.5 under the hood, this build might be worth it.
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

In reality an engine swap is a better move. Just the swap to a 6 is a big project. Do so searching. A V6 or V8 from a TBI GM is a cheap high power alternative.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
WhY402Jay
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Even with the radiator, hoses, adapter for transmission, harness, ecu, and fuel return valve?
Unread 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhY402Jay View Post
Even with the radiator, hoses, adapter for transmission, harness, ecu, and fuel return valve?
Haven't done it myself but the consensus seems to be that swapping from a 2.5L to a 4.0L is MORE difficult than many of the common V8 swaps, and that if you're going to swap you may as well get the V8 for the trouble.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I never rebuilt an engine until I built my Stroker. I took it on as a hobby, my TJ was far from my DD (it didn't even working brake lights due to a faulty turn signal switch for over a year). The extent of my work before the build was installing a 2.5" lift and replacing the clutch. I ordered this DVD from BoxWrench Media, high production quality and worth every dollar to any novice engine rebuilder, it walks you through every step of a rebuild. However, I took the 4.0 out of my TJ and stroked it and it has been running damn strong ever since. I was deployed 2008-2009 and had a lot of time to plan my build online and planned it out for over six months before I got home to start ordering parts. Three years later and I still have yet to tally the receipts but they are all still in an envelope for my curious self when I get the curiosity and patience to go through them. I do know that the machine shop was well over $2k.

Don't forget to check out JeepStrokers.com, and use my JF username if there is a referral. If you have any questions then shoot me PM.
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
WhY402Jay
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier

Haven't done it myself but the consensus seems to be that swapping from a 2.5L to a 4.0L is MORE difficult than many of the common V8 swaps, and that if you're going to swap you may as well get the V8 for the trouble.
The challenge is one part of the deal I'm really looking fwd to. Besides, a V8 would be a real gas guzzler, no matter how you build it. My friend has 350 tbi and gets 12 mpg, same as my 2.5. This thing is my DD so i'll build the thing then do a swap when it's finished. I just think it's funny how all those other people try to steer others away from what they want to do.
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #9
WhY402Jay
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco
I never rebuilt an engine until I built my Stroker. I took it on as a hobby, my TJ was far from my DD (it didn't even working brake lights due to a faulty turn signal switch for over a year). The extent of my work before the build was installing a 2.5" lift and replacing the clutch. I ordered this DVD from BoxWrench Media, high production quality and worth every dollar to any novice engine rebuilder, it walks you through every step of a rebuild. However, I took the 4.0 out of my TJ and stroked it and it has been running damn strong ever since. I was deployed 2008-2009 and had a lot of time to plan my build online and planned it out for over six months before I got home to start ordering parts. Three years later and I still have yet to tally the receipts but they are all still in an envelope for my curious self when I get the curiosity and patience to go through them. I do know that the machine shop was well over $2k.

Don't forget to check out JeepStrokers.com, and use my JF username if there is a referral. If you have any questions then shoot me PM.
A guy in my club is a machinist and can practically do that stuff free! I'm looking at money going only into the motor and parts. Tomorrow i'll be pricing all that together and comparing to crate. But the reason i started this thread was to get feedback regarding costs.
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
kshears
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished my 4.6 using my block and intake I bought everything on ebay.header,63mm throttle body,24# bosch 4 hole injectors,new head from odessa,silvolite pistons,hastings rings,4.2 rods from titan,new rocker arms/pivots,hv melling oil pump and p/up,victor gasket set,complete clutch kit,machine shop bored block,installed cam bearings,installed brass freeze plugs,resurfaced flywheel,pressed pistons on rods and supplied reground 10/10 4.2L crank kit.All this for less than $2500.00 The hardest part of build is beating the crap out of the oil pan to clear crank girdle.I have about 75 miles on it so far. READ EVERY ARTICLE YOU CAN FIND. good luck.
kshears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.