4.56 and 32/33's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.56 and 32/33's

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Jsederlin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4.56 and 32/33's

Hey guys! So I've recently went to 32in tires, and my 5th gear took a hit. I'm looking to regear to 4.56 that way I'd be safe jumping to 33's as well. I have 3.07 gears now, and just a Dana 30 and 35 and an ax15 tranny. I was just wondering if I'd have to get carriers going to 4.56. I was also wondering where the best place on the western slope of Colorado is to get gears done at. Thanks, Jordan

Jsederlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd recommend a Ford Explorer 8.8 swap with 4.10 gears - no one here will recommend that you put any money into a Dana 35. You can find Explorers with 4.10 gears, so you won't have to mess with the gears in the rear axle.

Yes, you will have to find a Dana 30 carrier for 3.73 and up gears. Or find a donor Jeep with 4.10 gears and just swap in the entire axle.

When you look at the costs of the gear swap, I think you'll find the entire axle swap to be a better option - especially if you can weld, or if you have a friend that can weld. Or a local Jeep club.
Unread 06-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Jsederlin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll definitely look into that. Thank you man!
Jsederlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
95YJMountie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any dana 30 from a 4cyl jeep should have 4.10 gears.
95YJMountie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Regearing a D35 is fine. The only way you'll break it is if you slam it off roading. 9 of 10 jeepers don't pound their rigs enough to bust it. If you go the route of replacing both axles with 4.10 from a 4 cylinder manual please know that all 2.5 4 cylinders manuals have 4.10s. I was corrected on that point by a 2.4 cylinder owner who had 3.73 stock gearing.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.