4.2l Value - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.2l Value

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.2l Value

Good morning guys, have a question that I could use some help with.

Bought my 1990 YJ with a blown motor, it came with a 4.2l 258 connect to a borg warner t5 tranny and transfer case that is all supposed to be good. I am guessing this is out of an 80's jeep. My wife is most worried about reliablity, am I better off getting the blown engine in my jeep rebuilt and selling the other engine, trany and transfer case or should I just drop in the 4.2 and pray it is a solid engine?

I have been quoted locally by a reputable shop for $2225 to rebuild, but gearheadengines quoted me $1800 shipped after core deposit. I am guessing I can still find somewhere cheaper locally.

The follow up question would be what is a fair price to ask for the engine/tranny/tcase set up? I figured I would go with the craigslist route

Thanks guys

Nowiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The motor in unknown condition may be worth $100-200. T-5 and presumably d300 could be worth a couple hundred each. Again, w/o knowing they are all in good working order you can't really expect much from them.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That is what I was afraid of. Didn't know what a frame of reference should be. Thanks.
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is this going to be a dd? Have you considered other combos for power plant an drive line? How much you looking to spend?

Sent from my space using JeepForum
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have about $2,000 to spend on Engine/Driveline, Yes it will be my DD. I would love to go with a different engine, but being on a tight budget makes me nervous. I would hate to spend money on an engine and then have an issue with it that I cannot afford to replace. I am not quite comfortable picking up an engine from a yard, is standard procedure for pick and pulls to elt you know if an engine runs before pulling?

I have the AX15, I would more than willing to explore a different route, if it can be done for $2,000

Thanks for the input
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Surely you could find a 4.0 motor outta a jeep. You'd just have to carb it, unless you want fuel injection.

Sent from my space using JeepForum
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I thought about the 4.0, but it seems the 4.0 swap is just as much of a headache as a small block. I have the opportunity to get a 89 F250 with 92,000miles on it as a donor truck, would pull the 351w out of it then get the adapters and drop it in, and do it cheaper than the 4.2, seems like it is the way to go but I am nervous to pull the trigger haha
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For a DD, don't risk some junkyard engine. Most anything you find will 20 years old (258) and likely a low priced 4.0 will not be much younger (and more work to convert) .

Get this rebuilt by a GOOD shop or buy a reman. You'll be glad you did

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.