4.2 sounds like a diesel!!! and performs like a lawnmower - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.2 sounds like a diesel!!! and performs like a lawnmower

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-04-2002, 06:28 AM   #1
Brendan

4.2 sounds like a diesel!!! and performs like a lawnmower

I just did a compresion test (wet and dry) and put a quart of oil in, cause I was low, and now my engine sounds ridiculous, and can't get above 1500 Rpm. I can't run it for more than about 5 minutes, cause it will slowly start to slow down, no matter what throttle position I'm at. It won't idle at all. HELP ME PLEASE!!!! I have no idea what is wrong, or how to fix it.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 02:53 PM   #2
Billy Badass

TOO MUCH OIL it sounds like think of it like this when things get hot they get bigger, so if your jeep was leaning or was still hot when you measured the oil, it may acctualy have been fine. So if you put an extra quart in the motor and you have done this before thinking it was low if could have two extra quarts in it. I did this with my first truck when I was young. The engune heats up the oil making it take up more sparce causeing the piston to try and compress it Well as it gets hotter, the oil expands taking up more space making the engine work harder trying to move, it and since liquid dose not compress it makes the engine slow down and adventually stop until it cools down and there is once again room for the pistons to move again. So here is my adcive drain the oil and refill it it will work wonders if that dose not work you mains are gone. Later.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
Brendan

Thanks, I'll try and drain the oil out.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 11:52 PM   #4
Billy Badass

Hey I've made the mistake before, I don't know for sure but that is what it sounds like man. The ground could be a little uneven, it only take a little, it also may be a head gasket if that dose not work check you cylender for water that could also cause it, it just sounds like something is just physicaly stoping you engine.

Later.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 12:05 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

might check your firing order since you did the comp. test. possably the cap is on backwards or the order is 180 off.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 01:29 AM   #6
jeepster18_88

Check the plug wires and make sure you put them back on the correct plugs. Other than that I would have to agree with the other guys.
Unread 02-12-2002, 11:21 AM   #7
runon4s
1986 CJ7 

Pull out the plugs you could have smashed the gap on one of the plugs. If this happens it will not fire. This will cause the problem. Allso if the cap was put on correctly when pull off sparkplug wire could have broken contact and pulg will not get spark.

89 yj 4.2, holley 390, clifford manifold, borla ss header, 2.5" bds lift, 1" shackle lift, 31x10.5x15 on stock jeep 8" alum. rims,
86 cj amc 304 bore 30 over, procomp cam, roller lifters, edelbrock intake and edelbrock shorty headers, holley carb, hmi distrib, Be cool raid, 2.5 procomp lift, 33x12.5x15 deep 10" Alum mag, dana 30f, 44r, tf999 auto with lokar shifter, 300 transfer, 8000lb winch, procomp bumpers, body rusted and abused.
runon4s is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.