4.2 -> 4.0 possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.2 -> 4.0 possible?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
DaemonForce

4.2 -> 4.0 possible?

I finally decided to give this forum a shot since every hosting provider in existence seems to go boom right along with my car so I'm wondering who here can help me figure this out. I'm a classic AMC enthusiast and though I've been relying on the inline 6 engine for the past 5 years, I'm open to using a 4 or 8 but those options aren't available. I would like to swap a recently blown 258 for whatever I can pull from the boneyard.

Here's what I know:
Not all 4.0's are equal. Some have a crack-prone Renix head or a nice Chrysler head...I have a spare Chrysler head with the water jackets filled.
Not all pans are equal. The 4.0 pan is a nightmare. I need to reuse the 258 pan or face clearance issues with the Eagle crossmember.
The bore is bigger but so is the 258 crank. I have a spare I intend to use to make a 282 stroker.
I prefer carbs but the 4.0 standard is fuel injection. I need help understanding this.
Because of FI electronics, I may have to change the entire drivetrain.

Issues:
I don't have an isolated place to work on this. I have an open yard in SW WA and I don't have anyone to help me with the lifting or overhaul work. This means I'm on my own. I've been taking care of an 83 year old grandpa for the past two years so that's where the majority of my attention has gone. I risk being kicked out within a few months over his health issues and that means I need to get this car running again or I will lose it along with any chance at a job for many years. Any help would be appreciated.

DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The head cracking issue is exactly the opposite. Only the latest CHRYSLER heads were prone to cracking, beginning in 2000. That's the 0331 head.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
DaemonForce

No I pulled the 7120 head from a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer. Also, read that again. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever pulled from the junkyard. Of all the ones available to pull, I chose THAT one. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Anyway, I'm wondering what all I need to worry about when doing this. Will it fit my engine compartment, what injectors to use, how to reuse my torqueflite transmission, what flexplate to use when bolting it up, what starter to use...All that fun stuff.
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I'm betting the 90 had an engine swap done. 2686 should be on a Renix 1990 XJ. 7120 was the first generation HO head.

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
DaemonForce

That's what I figured when I saw it. I had no way of identifying the injection system and was told to avoid Renix so I left the intake alone. What does the ideal intake look like?
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

There is no ideal intake IMHO. How many bolts hold the throttle body on?

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
zx150

I'm in the process of doing the same thing with an Eagle, a J10 and sometime soon a DJ5. It can be done.

The first gen HO injection is probably what I'll go with along with a 7120 head.
zx150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.