4.0L performance upgrades? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
jjstrom
1997 ZJ 

4.0L performance upgrades?

So I thought the headgasket went on my 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo. I finally got the head off and found pistons #1&2 were cracked on the top. I found a replacement motor, but was thinking I might build a performance motor using the current block. So my question is how much can build one of these 4.0L motors and are there any good performance rebuild lots available. Thanks for you help and input.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by jjstrom; 08-09-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-07-2017, 01:51 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There's no replacement for displacement:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
I finally got the head off and found cylinder #1&2 were cracked.
If the cylinders themselves are cracked, you're out of luck......

There are a ton of mods, ranging from mild to wild.
The first thing you need to determine is what application you are building for. A "drag" motor won't work worth a crap for DD'ing and mild wheeling, and a mild build won't perform as well if you are pulling or mud bogging.

You have to be realistic in you assessment.

Once you have figured out what you are building for, then you can look at putting together a build sheet of components that complement each other or choose a replacement engine.

Don't forget everybody's friend, the EPA.

bazinga

post #4 of 8 Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
jjstrom
1997 ZJ 

@ jeepdaddy2000 my Jeep will be a DD. It will also be my hunting rig, so it will also see logging roads and occasionally see light trail runs. I also had a typo in my original post. The top of piston 1&2 are cracked not the cylinder.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-10-2017, 10:40 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

I owned a 95 GC with the 4.0 and felt it was more than adequate for my needs (DD + hunting and trips skiing).

I would suggest a mild (re)build. Try to keep close to stock with perhaps a small upgrade with the cam.

Your profile states a future lift, and I'm sure a corresponding tire size increase. Your money may be better spent on the gearing swap that will need to be done at that time.

If you are looking for some larger HP increases, you are going to need to spend some cash. I would suggest you peruse the ZJ section to see the different options, mow much they cost, the effort involved, and how the owners like them.

bazinga
post #6 of 8 Old 08-10-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
jjstrom
1997 ZJ 

@jeepdaddy2000 thank you this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I have a 17 ski/fishing boat I would like to possibly tow with it. Do you feel the stock motor would have enough umph to tow it fine. The lake is about 15/20 miles from the house, there are a few hills along the way and it's a 55 mph state Hwy. As for lift I'm only looking at a small 3".

post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2017, 06:13 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

The boat should be within the tow capacity of the rig (5000lbs).

The motor willpull it, however, as with anything, a 5.2 or the 5.7 are better choices for any heavier pulling. I have owned a 95 with the 4.0 and a 97 with the 5.2. I really liked the 6 over the 8 for just about everything, however when I towed (about 2500lbs), the larger engine made a difference. I live in southern Oregon and to get anywhere off the valley floor means a 2000 foot hill climb (going north means four passes). For me a 17 foot Ski boat would tax the 4.0 and wouldn't be my first option.

Some minor engine upgrades can help, but when looking at really pumping up the power, such as a stroker, personally, the money and effort is better spent on simply going to a V8.

If you decide to tow, I would suggest a complete transmission flush and cooler upgrade, as well as slapping some new oil in the rear diff.

bazinga
post #8 of 8 Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
jjstrom
1997 ZJ 

Ok so after some thinking I've decided that at this point I'm just going to put a used motor in it. I will rebuild the current motor, but will be a slight build staying mostly stock. Thanks for all you input

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.