4.0L I6 Burnt Valve - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0L I6 Burnt Valve

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
04WJchick
2004 WJ 

4.0L I6 Burnt Valve

Ok so some of you may have read my other thread about the misfiring issue I was having last week. I replaced the sparkplug on the cylinder that was giving the code, and then instead of just shaking at idle, it began clicking and acceleration was extremely difficult. I gave up and took it to a local shop who found that, after replacing the coil pack, one of the plugs had been bent at the top. They blamed this on a valve issue and said it needed head work. I had it towed 120 miles to my parents house and they took it to the local dealership I originally purchased it from.

It took them 3 days to diagnose and they have now verified that the issue is burnt valve(s). I am now waiting on them to repair it and make sure that even fixes it (we have tried 2 different repairs already to no avail) and now have a quote of $1500. UGH. Can someone please explain to me though, what causes a valve to burn? The car is an 04 I-6 with 91,000 miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
According to the new Jeep commercials, Wranglers are for women after they get their hair done at the salon.
04WJchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques053_1.html

Read that. Basically, the valve, most likely your exhaust valve is eroding away and not able to completely seal the cylinder, causing a drop in compression.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
04WJchick
2004 WJ 

Link didn't work... thanks though, I will see if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
According to the new Jeep commercials, Wranglers are for women after they get their hair done at the salon.
04WJchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
ffcgary1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your valves are burnt out then i would think that your motor is running too lean, and you need to find out if the ecu is giving the right the fuel air mixture.Have you done any head work to the motor, or the previous owner did a bodge job. Have you been using crappy fuel or even the wrong grade petrol, all these options would or could cause poor running and ultimatly burnt out valves.
ffcgary1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.