4.0L I-6 engines... Any performance mods available - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0L I-6 engines... Any performance mods available

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Edge Products| Product

Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post
Argh. That says it excludes grand cherokee, and I dont' see them for 2004s....
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Edge Products| Product

Here's an Edge for the 2004 wrangler. Just noticed GC exclusion.
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

I wonder if thats just because of space under the hood or there is some mechanical reason.
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure re GC exclusion but probably computer related I'd guess.
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
ZombieJeep
1998 ZJ 

this is a retarded thread.

cold air intakes work: although they really only do about 8hp

cat backs, headers and high flow cats work: back to gaining only a few hp

bored throttle bodies work: only a few more hp

external engine mods will net a few hp, your not going to be laying down serious rubber when you stomp on your skinny pedal but you will feel a difference and all together add up to a smoother running motor maybe a little gas mileage bump (or larger if your replaced parts were in a very sorry condition)

Like previously posted external mods compliment internal mods.

what does NOT work on late model 4.0l are throttle body spacers you might as well send your money to me and ill send you a BFH to smash your head in.
and JET chips dont work; all the do is take the governor off. and whens the last time you pushed 105mph in your jeep?
ZombieJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was going to do some upgrade but after I went through all posts in this thread, I will not do any upgrade.

No one mentioned the injectors, I read about some Ford ( Neon I guess ) injectors, did any one have info on that subject?.
Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
ajmorell

From what I've read they won't increase power or fuel economy any noticeable amount. I have read marginally improved throttle response and smoother idle but that's about it.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #24
adhdlacrosse16
2014 JK Wrangler 

injectors with a 4 hole pattern as opposed to 1 will give a better atomization of the fuel. basically 4 holes instead on 1 squirtin gas.... tenths of a mpg, but it is more efficient. headers are also more efficient than stock manifold but again tenths of a mpg and 2-5 horsies real world. CAI again more efficient burn due to more air being available fr the intake pulse, giving you maybe 1mpg but in real world driving again tenths of a mpg. bored tb is again good for a few ponies at the crank but nothing you will see at the wheels, better throttle response is all you will actually feel. high flow cat is in my opinion one of the best things you can do. factry cats are honey combs and that = RESTRICTION! spiral cores are more efficient and still will pass emissions maybe 1-1.5 mpg. cat back is also good for a few ponies everyone claims 3-5-15 but 1-3 is more likely in real world. a 99+ manifold is more efficient and will actually yeild about 10 ponies cuz of smoother runners. Port and polish is always good for a couple ponies and also 1-1.5 mpg. All and all breathing is the most important thing for this engine (without doing any internal modifications). Intake and exhaust but if you do everything listed above your into the engine $3-4k, but with an engine that routinely runs up to 200k without any major issues it should be seen as an investment. if everything is compounded and i mean EVERYTHNG! you would probably see a 3-5 mpg increase as well as about 15-30 horsies. IMO power is great, but if thats all youre looking for you may as well invest your $4k in a supercharger or turbo. but if longevity and efficiency are the goal the above in combination will net you some appreciable power and gas mileage. as an after thought cams should also be mentioned but again maybe 3-10 horsies... but it will lope at idle and that sounds pretty cool maybe 1 mpg, probably less but is should be considered.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
Jeepmansoffroad
1989 MJ Comanche 

Most aftermarket addons will increase HP and Fuel economy but some things (TB spacer, cold air intake, Larger TB) will not work as well if the exhaust system has not been upgraded as well...

The best upgrades you can make are:
- Electric Fan Conversion
- High flow Cat and Muffler with 2.5" tubing
- 99+ Intake manifold
- Proper Header to replace the crap Exhaust manifold
- Cold air intake
- Larger injectors to match the Estimated HP increase

Big Money Upgrades
- Adding a Turbo or Supercharger
- The ultimate is building a Stroker engine

From my experience and I have alot of it, Most people do not see the increases because they usually only upgrade the intake flow and not the exhaust flow...

Also the Factory injectors are undersized from the get go, so once you add more HP you need to upsize the inectors to compensate for the increase in fuel demand otherwise you will not notice the HP gains...
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There's cams, rollor rockers, bigger tb, engine programer, stroker kits, the list goes on. On my 87 4.2 I installed a holley 470 4 barrel, offy intake, comp cam, rollor rockers, ported head, header, hipo pistons, HEI distributor, and MSD, THE THING SCREAMS!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #27
94XJS
1994 XJ Cherokee 

There's a pretty good article in the October 2012 issue of JP Magazine, Called Injected Inline Improvements. Check it out!
94XJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
mk19gunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed runing an airraid intake/filter and flowmaster exhaust almost makes up for 32" tires with my 02 tj and 05 lj
mk19gunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , performance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.