4.0L I-6 engines... Any performance mods available - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0L I-6 engines... Any performance mods available

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

4.0L I-6 engines... Any performance mods available

I guess I should specify by saying that I'm not interested in losing too much MPGs'. Maybe what I should say I'm interested in "enhancements". I'm not talking about a complete teardown, just things that could be done to boost power/torque that are relatively simple for a noob like me.
Any suggestions?

KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
papi32
1999 TJ Wrangler 

exhaust helps a little, i put a dynomax ultraflo muffler on my 99 wrangler 4L with stock pipes and it seems to get up to higher rpms a little faster but its nothing really to brag about, and the sound is not much louder than stock but still has a nice deep rumbel to it, sounds awsome when you put it to the floor!!!
papi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

In my personal experience things that do not work and increase annoyance down the road are:
- throttle body spacers
- "performance" exhausts
- conical filter systems

Things that do make a difference at the expense of fuel economy:
- power programmers

Things that might make a tiny difference:
- synthetic fluids

That is all, based on what I have used in my own Jeep.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.0L sort of defies the laws of engines... it doesn't really respond noticeably to much of anything unless its internal... and then the internal mods wake up with the supporting breathing mods... very weird engine IMO.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think some the reasons that the I6 has problems with simple mods is first design it has been around for a long time, it's and I6 like and old tractor engine, not much you can really do to increase performance. It has 2 valves per cylinder where many new vehicles have 3 or 4. Also the I6 was at the end of the road when Chrysler replaced it, I think Chrysler did everything they could to squeak out every last HP, and TQ out of old engine design, it was tuned by Chrysler, not detuned like many cars and trucks that come out these days. About the only mods that will increase power are some type of forced induction, a stroker kit, or a V8.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

So.....nothing?
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
ajmorell

I didn't realize any real improvements until I compounded mods. I'm running a 99+ intake manifold, aftermarket cam, header & full exhaust (high-flow cat, flowmaster) and there is a substantial difference compared to the stock 4.0.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
chainz
1976 CJ5 

I agree with hustler 100% the only solution i feel once you get the itch to go faster or make your engine stronger is a V-8 you will just be wasting money on bolt on parts that in my experience don't really do a whole lot.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Jeepxj5209

2001 XJ Cherokee 

replace your manual fan with an electric one
-free up a few ponies
-No annoing winding sound
-more efficent in traffic
/ offroad
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
GeologistFelix
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Then there's the classic stroker mod. It violates the 'not wanting to tear the whole engine down' stipulation, but it's still worth mentioning.

Basically, you use parts from an older 258 6-cylinder with the 4.0L block, and increase your displacement, usually to around 4.5L (you can go up to more like 4.7L with some more serious aftermarket parts and some machining).

The cheapest stroker built will give you a solid 30ish HP and a good 50 ft/lbs more torque, and it doesn't use appreciably more gas than a stock engine for regular driving...however, it *can* burn a lot more gas than a stocker when you want it to. Like, when you're on short freeway onramps, or mudding.
GeologistFelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
Bryson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's all about boost...

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics) - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

99 chilipepper red XJ: Race car tow rig. Turbo project in the works.

Head of Core production - www.CortekSystems.com
Owner of Boostwerks.com
Website in development.
Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bolt on mods are a waste on a stock 4.0 I6.

Consider selling the I6 WJ and pick up one with a 4.7 V8.

Unless you're attached to your Jeep, I think this is the easiest and best way to pick up some horsepower.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Airraid Cold Air intake and a Banks Cat Monster Exhaust on my 04 Rubicon. I didn't notice any difference until I added a Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer. I went from gettting 200 miles per tank to about 240 to 250 miles per tank. I worked for me but I have heard it hasn't work on others.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
-ExDementia-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Individual mods do nothing pretty much, but when you get exhaust + intake + other misc stuff, it will net you a noticeable amount. But if you do them all one at a time, you really won't notice anything. You might think you do though!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" [B]- George Carlin[/B]

[B][SIZE="3"]Click [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php"]HERE[/URL] for the elusive search button everyone talks about.[/SIZE][/B]
-ExDementia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRecon View Post
Individual mods do nothing pretty much, but when you get exhaust + intake + other misc stuff, it will net you a noticeable amount. But if you do them all one at a time, you really won't notice anything. You might think you do though!
That statement makes no sense at all. Are you saying if you don't do them all at the same time you will notice something?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , performance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.