4.0L Hesitation/ Stumble on acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0L Hesitation/ Stumble on acceleration

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 07-29-2002, 05:32 PM   #1
Woodtroll

4.0L Hesitation/ Stumble on acceleration

Hello, I have a 1990 Cherokee with high mileage (179k) on an original engine. The truck idles and runs fine, but when the throttle is just barely cracked off idle it stalls, nearly dying if held in that position. While driving, it produces a short hesitation just off idle while accelerating, then smoothes out and runs fine. I have attached a vacuum gauge to the intake, vac. normal at idle, cracking the throttle and holding it just barely open drops vacuum to almost nothing, engine runs rough and stumbles around, eventually smoothes out and runs fine at same throttle position.

I have replaced the oxygen sensor and cleaned the throttle plate and body, with no change. Would a worn timing chain produce these symptoms? Any help/ suggestions/ comments? Thanks! Regan

Woodtroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.