4.0L Engine Oil Cap Falling Off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0L Engine Oil Cap Falling Off?

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 02-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
DasFrettchen

1998 TJ Wrangler 

4.0L Engine Oil Cap Falling Off?

I have a '98 Wrangler with the 4.0L engine. At 146k miles a piston skirt broke, so I tore it apart and rebuilt the engine from the ground up. Before, the oil fill cap used to get stuck and I would nearly destroy it trying to get it out of the valve cover. It's been 10k miles since the rebuild and 3 times now the oil cap has worked it's way up out of the valve cover, twice I found it sitting on the opening and yesterday I found it laying in the parking lot at work accompanied by a pretty good trail of oil. I am not sure what could be causing this to happen, it is as if the valve cover has become pressurized to such an extent that it's forcing the cap to work it's way out. I did put in a high volume oil pump which bumped the cold oil pressure from 40 to 60 lbs (hot pressure from 20 to 40 lbs) and I believe there is a lifter bleeding off over night as every morning there is a nice light rattle for 2-3 seconds when I start the engine.

Any idea what could be causing this? I like to think that perhaps after destroying the last oil cap I bought one that just doesn't fit quite right, but I want to make sure that there couldn't be something more sinister at play here!

DasFrettchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

check your PVC valve, if there is too much crank case pressure it is possiable it could pop off. If your PVC valve rattles it is ok. Make sure the hoses are not cloged. The valve cover has to vent air in, air out.
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ doesn't have a PVC valve so shaking it won't tell you anything.

I doubt your problem is pressure related. I'd be checking the cap and maybe the hole in the cover it threads into.
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Do you have a breather ? is it working ? is the dip stick also being pushed up ?

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.