4.0L bogs down and backfires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0L bogs down and backfires

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4.0L bogs down and backfires

98 Wrangler with the 4.0L and 5spd trans. Jeep runs fine the first time you turn it on, but when it is shut off and restarted while still warm it begins to run like crap. It will bog down, hesitate for a few seconds, then put out a few massive backfires. After it backfires the problem will clear and it will run fine until shut off again.

This will happen everytime the jeep is started while warm. Has been happening for about the last two months. Since the problem arose i changed the plugs, distributor cap, and rotor. Ignition wires seem to be in good condition, as they arent brittle. Have also run two treatments of fuel system cleaner through the tank.

Fuel filter for my year is the non-serviceable style.

EDIT: Replaced Ignition Coil too

Any ideas as to what the issue is here? Im looking for suggestions as to what parts to throw at it next...

Thanks,
Brian

BrianGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Removed throttle body, cleaned it and reinstalled with new gasket.
Replaced Ignition coil.

No changes. Any thoughts?
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
PathWJ99
1999 WJ 

Maybe try the crank position sensor?
PathWJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced the CPS in december. I suppose its possible i got an inferior replacement, but wouldnt a bad sensor cause a problem all of the time? This only happens when the jeep is restarted while still warm

thanks for the response, and ive been wrong before, so if youve seen a cps cause an issue like this please correct me
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
PathWJ99
1999 WJ 

Well mine would drive fine for a while then after it had going for maybe 15-20 minutes it would start acting up then die on me. When yours shuts off will it restart or dose it need to cool down a bit?
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep starts right up. The problem is when you get going. It will bog down hard enough to throw you forward in your seat, then backfire. Sometimes one really loud backfire and sometimes it will backfire for fifty yards down the road. After the backfiring clears it runs fine until shut off again.
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
PathWJ99
1999 WJ 

That's strange. If I were you I would jump on a big thread that is already started and that is your year and model. You might get more answers that way. But I kinda sounds like something's clogged. I would maybe look at the fuel pump relay next. Start with the little things. I also have the lifetime fuel filter but I decided to put a new one in anyways.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Strange indeed. Im sure its something stupid, thanks for the help
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
BrianGr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Havent done anything to the jeep, and the problem still persists, so still looking for answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathWJ99 View Post
But I kinda sounds like something's clogged.
Didnt realize it at first, but wouldnt a backfire (the jeep backfires) indicate that its overloading on gas, not starving?

What really kills me is that only does it once, then clears and goes away. Makes it that much more difficult to trouble shoot. I know the fuel pump relay was suggested above, and I need to check it just to be sure, but if the issue was the relay wouldnt the issue be constant?

Probably a longshot, but could it be related to spark advance? Is spark advance on these vaccum operated? I know vaccum leaks cause issues.
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Check the fuel pressure before proceeding any further.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
marmul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi BrianGr, I have the exact same issue. Have you resolved the issue? In addition to the brief backfire/bog i have hesitation on acceleration at about 1800 to 2200 rpm. My MPG is between 13 - 14.
marmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Flyin

I've got a '96 ZJ 4.0 that also does this. Started thinking it was a leaking injector & upgraded them with no change. Also swapped to the new style intake, new crank sensor, TPS, MAP, cleaned the IAC & TB. CAT was gone when I bought it so I put a universal Magna flow cat & new exhaust on it. I'm getting an O2 code (rear sensor) & will replace that soon. Also getting 12-14 mpg.
Flyin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.