Are 4.0 valve covers head specific ??????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Are 4.0 valve covers head specific ???????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Bruner3
1985 CJ7 

Are 4.0 valve covers head specific ???????

I just completed a 4.0 head swap on my 258, I got a valve cover off a buddy since my new head did not come with one. This valve cover does not seal to the head. Bought the $36 fel-pro perma dry gasket and leaks like a cive.... I was told that the valve covers are head specific such as to each casting #. Any help would be great my casting # is 0630 and the valve cover im using has a lip around the bottom which is not letting it seal to the gasket.

Bruner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
1bolt

the answer is ... sort of... the early 4.0's will interchange with a 4.2, I believe the 91 to 95 might as well though Ive never tried to interchange between a renix (86-90) or 91-95 with a 4.2 valve cover or vice versa.

The 96 and up is a stamped steel valve cover, as you've found the head is slightly altered so older covers don't fit without grinding that lip off. So that's why it's "sort of" you can easilly grind that lip off and achieve a decent seal using the 96 and later rubber pre-formed gasket. It uses rubber o-ring style reuseable gasket And it's the best valve cover/gasket combo ever made for a AMC straight six IMHO anyway...

The steel helps, but the thick rubber gasket with crush spacers in the cover to keep one from torquing the cover down way too much and distorting the cover is the least leaky of them all (by far) in my experience.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.