4.0 is super sluggish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 is super sluggish

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Colorad0TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 is super sluggish

I recently bought a 2003 TJ. When I bought it I didn't know that it was severely underpowered until I drove my friends TJ. It has 33's with 4.56 gearing. It had been throwing a P0432 code so I dropped the cat's and there was one that was dislodged and had fallen down. (Pic below) I thought this would fix the problem of it being slow due to the clogged cat, however after replacing this it still has no power. What I mean by no power is that once I hit 2000 rpms there is no more acceleration no matter how hard I push the gas so I always have to shift at 2000 rpms. Does anyone know why this could be? I can't even keep up with guys who have 35's and 3.73s in the mountains.

image-3046304303.jpg

I replaced all 3 cats and still doesn't feel any different. You'd think id e able to feel a difference since the car was so lodged in there.

Colorad0TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

PCM uses the O2 sensors to determine if the cats are bad. When were they last replaced?

When was your last tuneup? Air filter, spark plugs, etc
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Does it struggle to get to 2000 rpms? Bucking? Noisy? Drinking gas?
How is it in neutral?
Check the throttle cable with engine off. Look for slack. With engine off use your hand to rotate the throttle on the throttle body. Make sure its opening.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.