4.0 soup it up or fix it back stock? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 soup it up or fix it back stock?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
stngh8r

4.0 soup it up or fix it back stock?

Well, I am new to the board, but not new to wanting to add HP to everything I own.

I have several questions, but first let me tell you the situation. My wife's 92 XJ has recently blew a head gasket and she may have gotten it hot enough to warp the head, but dont know yet.

My thoughts are: This would be the perfect time to add a cam/headers/exhaust and possibly port the heads/TB and gasket match the intake. The cam I have theoretically chose is the new VooDoo 63500 (Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 208/213; Lift IN/EX: .484"/.484"; LSA / ICL: 112/108; RPM Range: 10005200 (w/ lifters)

My questions:

1. How do I ID a HO engine and/or head (her engine is from a salvage yard and not OE)? I have located the HO #s on the internet thanks to this website, but not yet figured out where these #s are located on the head? Are they visible without pulling off the valve cover?

2. If I change the cam, add headers, do a mild port to the heads and throttle body; Will the injectors and fuel pump be up to the task? Will the computer be up to the task? With electronics and fuel, what problems/solutions/complexity am I looking at?

Thank you in advance for your knowledgable replies

Eric<><

stngh8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
stngh8r

Last edited by stngh8r; 10-17-2007 at 10:09 AM..
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #3
JEEPINWI

The head ID number is located between the 3rd and 4th cylinder on the intake/exhaust side of the head. I'm not positive, but I think you can see the number with the valve cover attached.

The fuel system is still adequate with the mods you stated. If you're working on a pre-96 4.0, you can build a MAP sensor adjustor to fine tune your A/F mixture.

Now, where did you find that cam? I'd like to find out more about it.
Unread 10-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
stngh8r

Thank you for the info.

VooDoo offers several cam selections and the 63500 is the first step up from stock, but I was afraid that going any larger might cause problems with tuning.

http://www.holley.com/types/AMC%20L6...0Hydraulic.asp
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
75SV1

Here read:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
stngh8r

That is where I originally found the casting #s for the head, but I never seemed to find a location on that website. Anyways, that is a great website. I even have it bookmarked, lots of good info on there.

Thanks

Eric
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
75SV1

Look under tech TECH SPECS.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
stngh8r

-OK, will do. That is where I found the casting #s in the first place, but I must have missed the information concerning where to find the casting number on the head itself? I will look at the Tech Section again sometime.
-It seems for the time being that JEEPINWI has answered the question, so no sweat.

Thank you for the advice

Eric <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.