4.0 Performance upgrades. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 Performance upgrades.

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
boondaba
2004 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 Performance upgrades.

Is there any good aftermarket engine upgrades that will give my 04 4.0L a little more power without going into any major internal work?

"If you try to knock, me you'll get mocked
I'll stir fry you in my wok
Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop
Like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock"
boondaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Short answer = No.

Long answer = No, there isn't.

Longer answer = There are a lot of things advertised to give better MPG and more HP. Some will give higher HP but you get it at the high end of the RPM range which doesn't do a lot of good for a Jeep. Most of the people will tell you these things are a waste of money. Some will claim that they "feel" more power with X but it's mostly just "feeling" lighter in the wallet that they are feeling and maybe a different sound from the intake.

Best answer = Since you are running 30" tires, stroke it. Nothing makes power better than displacement. If you go with bigger tires, regear.
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
boondaba
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey,thanks for that info. im glad i asked first. is there somwhere you can direct me so i can do some research on stroking a 4.0?

"If you try to knock, me you'll get mocked
I'll stir fry you in my wok
Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop
Like a pinch on the neck from Mr. Spock"
boondaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/vi...a6ebbdac130ee8

This should help.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondaba View Post
Is there any good aftermarket engine upgrades that will give my 04 4.0L a little more power without going into any major internal work?
nope. stroker, supercharger, turbo or don't even bother opening your wallet. in case you were wondering about Cold Air Intakes - read here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/faq-cold-air-intake-558437/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The correct answer here is YES.

However, this really depends on your definition of MAJOR internal work. Stroking an engine properly is about as major as it gets. Its going to include a lot of refinishing, and balancing. Ive been building engines on and off for a little over 16yrs, and almost all your power increases are going to be found in the head, and the camshaft. If you're willing to spend money on machine work, then spend it on the head... forget the bottom end. The phrase, "Nothing makes power better than displacement." can be very true, as long as the supporting modifications are applied. A good port and polish can yield and an aggressive camshaft will yield far more horsepower than any stroke. Funny story, when I looked up all the tried and trued stroker engines, I was really astonished that the most aggressive combination only yielded 303hp & 360lb-ft.... A BMW M3 can make that all day with 3.0L, and it has room to play with all the way to 400hp on the motor... the difference is, head flow, and Camshafts. That's the route to explore. Now if your only interested in finding raw torque, then a you have to lay hard ball and do the stroke, and complete it with the proper head work and camshaft.

Let me explain something... when an engine has a handicap, the last thing you want to do is make it worse. The RPM range is short for two reasons: 1. The stroke, and 2. The cam grind. By just stroking the engine all you've really done is added more weight and more displacement, but the engine still has the same handicap except now its worse. To really open up the possibilities, honestly, it should be De-stroked... but i don't believe that there is such a crankshaft available. Going in that direction is also very expensive, and very tricky w/o the proper know how, so a small block Chevy would be the better route.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.