4.0 low oil pressure at idle - fixed - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 137 Old 09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
tazinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhi67 View Post
Being a first time poster, just wanted to say thank you to all those who post here. I think you will save me lots of time and many cuss words. I am having this same problem in my 97 Tj 4.0 no pressure at idle and ocassionally engine alarm at start up . Look forward to trying this fix this week. Will post results.
Did it work? I'm getting the warning upon startup when hot as it takes about 5 seconds for the oil pressure gauge to increase. But I do have well over 10psi at idle. Only problem is startup. Also going to change the oil filter because a bad drainback valve could also cause this.

Derrick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 137 Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
irvincod
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks qhead72, I was having this same exact problem with my 01 XJ having no oil pressure when warm. All tho running the engine out of oil at 4k RPM's may not be the best idea, it sure did fix the problem easily and quickly. Thanks again.
post #63 of 137 Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Cool

post #64 of 137 Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
BAMF_Zj
1996 ZJ 

Hey guys, first time poster....first I want to say this is my first Jeep and I absolutely love it (Zj).... I have read almost every forum and post about this issue but no one has had my exact problem... mine was running great, good oil pressure, extremely quiet....then I decided to do an oil change... only had the rig 7-8 months (bought used)... the filter was welded on..lol... so I did the screw driver trick from under the vehicle... little did I know the oil sending unit was hovering over the filter and I went through the filter withe screw driver and snapped the sending unit off... no big deal, went to Advance Auto and got a new one...used Valvoline 10w30 and a FRAM filter(probably the problem)... so now, with fresh oil and brand new sender, I have these issues...start up is around 40-45 and then when warm... 10-20 ... while driving will go to 40-45 for a few then drop to ZERO and light comes on.... I can idle and let it drop to zero and it will stay there and sometimes revving it will bring it back up, sometimes not... it can be at zero and I can shut the truck off for a split second and crank it back up and it will go to 40-45 for a few seconds then drop back to 20 then after a minute drop to zero.... I have added multiple types of additives to help it and nothing has helped... I drive it daily and this has been an issue for about 3 weeks so I assume nothing terrible is wrong... I seen there are 4-5 different senders that are listed as an "exact fit" for the jeep 4.0 on Advance Autos site... does anyone have the exact part number for the correct one for a 96 model 4.0?
Gonna ditch the FRAM filter first and see if that helps...also looks as though the seal on the oil filter adaptor is leaking slightly... could this be a problem as well?
post #65 of 137 Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

The OFA leak is not it. I hate FRam. Period. Get it off of there and use a Wix, Napa Gold, or Mopar. All good quality, inexpensive, and easy to find.
Have you ever shined a light into the oil filler hole to see how sludgy your engine is inside?

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 137 Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 PM
BAMF_Zj
1996 ZJ 

thnx cruiser... I went out today and got a NAPA Gold filter, Rotella 5w40 T6 like someone suggested and swapped it all out.... absolutely no change... actually after a while, it got worse.. dropped to zero and stayed there... would not come back up... so I left it running and had my wife watch the needle while I fiddled with the wires going to the sensor... I would unplug it and plug it back in and it would go up for a second and drop again... so I thought, maybe I have it screwed in too far.. so I started loosening it until it started to leak and then back in again... to my amazement, it went up to almost 40 at idle... so then I loosened it till it leaked again and noticed it was blowing bubbles, so I let it blow till it was straight oil, then tightened it back up and now it sits at about 38 at 800rpm idle and goes to almost 50 cruising on the highway... hasn't hiccuped since... so I guess I figured out that you have to bleed the fitting with the engine running to install a new pressure sensor....
So, so far it seems to be FIXED!...
post #67 of 137 Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 PM
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF_Zj
thnx cruiser... I went out today and got a NAPA Gold filter, Rotella 5w40 T6 like someone suggested and swapped it all out.... absolutely no change... actually after a while, it got worse.. dropped to zero and stayed there... would not come back up... so I left it running and had my wife watch the needle while I fiddled with the wires going to the sensor... I would unplug it and plug it back in and it would go up for a second and drop again... so I thought, maybe I have it screwed in too far.. so I started loosening it until it started to leak and then back in again... to my amazement, it went up to almost 40 at idle... so then I loosened it till it leaked again and noticed it was blowing bubbles, so I let it blow till it was straight oil, then tightened it back up and now it sits at about 38 at 800rpm idle and goes to almost 50 cruising on the highway... hasn't hiccuped since... so I guess I figured out that you have to bleed the fitting with the engine running to install a new pressure sensor....
That could do it lol

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
post #68 of 137 Old 03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

The best oil filter period is a "fleet guard" it's like a oil filter with a metal screen, then fabric stuff, then a paper element!! You can order them from cummins filtration!! I use them when there available!!

post #69 of 137 Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF_Zj View Post
I'm wondering if you didn't bleed it, but blew a chunk of crap out just like the OP of this thread described ......

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #70 of 137 Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
BAMF_Zj
1996 ZJ 

...well I guess I spoke too soon... It ran great last night, for a long time... got up this morning, and stuck at zero again... drove it all the way to work(25 miles) with no problems...still sounded great when I got to work... checked the oil and it was a little low from the oil change yesterday... so at lunch I added a little and the pressure went right up... then a few minutes later, back to zero again... So I did the bleed test again... got a few bubbles, but didn't help the pressure... so then I started to back the sensor out a couple of turns..the more I backed it out, the more the pressure on the gage came up...I am starting to think that Advanced Auto gave me the wrong sensor...
post #71 of 137 Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF_Zj View Post
...well I guess I spoke too soon... It ran great last night, for a long time... got up this morning, and stuck at zero again... drove it all the way to work(25 miles) with no problems...still sounded great when I got to work... checked the oil and it was a little low from the oil change yesterday... so at lunch I added a little and the pressure went right up... then a few minutes later, back to zero again... So I did the bleed test again... got a few bubbles, but didn't help the pressure... so then I started to back the sensor out a couple of turns..the more I backed it out, the more the pressure on the gage came up...I am starting to think that Advanced Auto gave me the wrong sensor...
Have them swap it out, the first one I bought from Advance was bad, the replacement has been working pretty good.
post #72 of 137 Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Go to the dealer and get one

post #73 of 137 Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 PM
GilaMtnJeep
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdj5 View Post
Go to the dealer and get one

Or NAPA and get the Echelin brand. Never had an issue with a NAPA part.

Silence is Golden, Duct tape comes in Many Colors.

Journeyman Meterman IBEW Local 611

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
post #74 of 137 Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep

Or NAPA and get the Echelin brand. Never had an issue with a NAPA part.
Yah I like NAPA, NAPA is good stuff and they know what there talking about (most of the time lol)

post #75 of 137 Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
JJJeepster1
2005 WK 

Can the plug type fitting that the sending unit screws into be removed and cleaned?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.