4.0 liter in line 6 piston question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 liter in line 6 piston question

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
rick2

4.0 liter in line 6 piston question

just wanted to see if any one knows why the 4.0 liter. mine being a 1999 are breaking piston skirts my number 6 piston did it....... and when i'm done with it will any other ones do it

rick2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion is that Jeep built a loose engine. There is too much clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall. This causes piston slap which leads to broken pistons. I think a lot of what people think is lifters ticking is actually piston slap. When you pull the piston do some measuring and you will probably find that you will need to bore at least 0.010 over stock and use oversized pistons.

Welcome to the forum.
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
mike77kurth
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My 99 wj did the same, I ended up replacing all six. Yes it has 200k, but I was not expecting the pistons to "wiggle" in the cylinders or for the ring gap to be over 1mm. broke a ring while installing the last piston... back to waiting for parts. Been at it just over a month

Also debating if the wife messed up a brand new piston enough to pull it again. She did not use the rubber part of hammer when "helping"
mike77kurth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
halo26
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mike77 - Did you machine your block/measure before putting in new pistons or just drop in stock sized one? I'm grearing up to do the same thing and was Not planning on machining, but a few people have scolded me about that :-)

Also, what else did you replace "while you were there"? ( rod bearing, etc).

Cheers!
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo26 View Post
Mike77 - Did you machine your block/measure before putting in new pistons or just drop in stock sized one? I'm grearing up to do the same thing and was Not planning on machining, but a few people have scolded me about that :-)

Also, what else did you replace "while you were there"? ( rod bearing, etc).

Cheers!
You need to do some measuring in the cylinders to determine what you need to do. It's pretty unlikely you will be able to just drop stock size pistons in the holes if you want to have proper clearance. An oversized piston will require the cylinders to be bored. If the cylinders need boring, I'd have the cam bearings replaced while it's at the shop. I'd also consider having the main bearing caps align bored. Have the crank checked for journal wear. Excesive wear may require machining and the use of undersized bearings. You might consider getting all the rotating parts balanced. Do a good inspection of the push rods and rocker arms.
Oil pump
Water pump
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Cam bearings
Freeze plugs
Lifters
Timing chain & sprockets
Full gasket set
Head work?
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
mike77kurth
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sadly, i did not machine the block. I honed the walls and spent every night cleaning with a lot brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Ring gaps and bearing clearance were all within specs. Of course people are going to tell me I should have, that's fine. I invite them and their checkbooks to come do the machine work.

As for what I am replacing:
piston heads and rings,
rod bearings
rear main seal
re-ground the valves
thermostat (I dropped it)
Oil pump and pick up
all gaskets I touched
mike77kurth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #7
halo26
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That actually makes me feel a bit better, to be honest... I plan on doing the same thing this winter. I'd love to be able to do a full rebuilt, including machining the block, but the money is not there right now.

Your list is spot on with what I'm looking as, as well... Now to build up the courage and start working on it (first time ripping apart an engine)

Cheers!
- Halo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.