4.0 Liter, Altenator voltage out put??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 Liter, Altenator voltage out put???

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
Birdawg

4.0 Liter, Altenator voltage out put???

Heard a belt squeel once in a while, usually on start up but sometimes while running, and noticed that when the squeel was going on the volt meter drop back to discharge and then pop back up to charge. Checked the code and have a Low Generator Voltage code flash at me. Checked the voltage with a meter and it is putting out about 14 volts when not squeeling. Can't catch it to meter it when it squeels, it's too quick and intermitant, 5 or 10 seconds at a time. I can't feel any side to side play in the pully. Belt seems to be tight enough. Could the diodes in the altenator go intermitantly like that?? Cause the altenator to discharge and drag to make the belt slip past the pully and make it squeel??? Does any one know what the altenator out put voltage should be?? What does your volt gage read normaly?? Thanks.

Tops. 31" x 10 1/2" x 15" Coopers
Sumer Projects:2 1/2" Rubicon Express.(Done) New Metalic Paint.(Done)
31" Tires (Done), Bed Liner. Dome Light for Soft Top
[color=blue]Blue Jeep Member #15[/color]
Birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
DirtyDan

Have you checked for play/wear in the bearings of the alternator? If the bearings are locking you would get a burnt rubber smell if the belt is slipping. Remiove the belt from the alternator and spin the rotor and check for any resistance.

Dan
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Birdawg

A guy in another forum suggested belt dressing. I picked up a can at the hard ware store today and sprayed the belt. Drove around a quite a bit today and no squeeling! Turns out the belt was slipping. I do need a new belt, just ordered it today.
Thanks
Tops. 31" x 10 1/2" x 15" Coopers
Sumer Projects:2 1/2" Rubicon Express.(Done) New Metalic Paint.(Done)
31" Tires (Done), Bed Liner. Dome Light for Soft Top
[color=blue]Blue Jeep Member #15[/color]
Birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.