4.0 engine temperature - could/should I make it cooler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 engine temperature - could/should I make it cooler?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
everyladykiller
2003 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 engine temperature - could/should I make it cooler?

My 03 Rubicon runs a little to warm for comfort (around 212). Around town it's not a big deal at all and usually stays around the 210 mark, but when I hit the interstate it can get up to 215 which isn't very comforting. So could/should I make her run a little cooler? What would be an advantage/disadvantage to doing so?

It probably doesn't help that I live in south Louisiana... But let me know what you think!

Unread 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Those are very normal operating temps. Other than periodic normal maintenance (e.g. coolant flushes) I wouldn't touch it unless something is obviously wrong (e.g. dripping water pump). Stock cooling system is easy to screw up with "improvements".
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Tracy1974
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not real sure of the exact spread of the re lather range but I know all the jeeps I've seen atleast from 2000-2004 run dead on in normal conditions at 210 on the dot. It may be your fan shroud, your coolant mixture isn't propper, your thermostat is sticking slightly not allowing full flow, timing may be slightly off or fan clutch is failing. Radiators that get scale in them and fan clutches not working properly are a common cause and these r two things I have delt with quite a few times over the years.
Tracy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Tracy1974
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and I live in South Texas where temps are near 100* most of the year and unless I'm driving in real soft deep sand in four high for long periods it doesn't move off 210*. Not saying u actually have a prob just stating how mine and a handful of other jeeps in this year range run at.
Tracy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.