4.0 Engine OEM manifolds - beware! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 4.0 Engine OEM manifolds - beware!

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
shaban
1996 ZJ 

4.0 Engine aftermarket manifolds - beware!

Hello!

Just wanted to share some negative experience.

First of all, my old manifold developed a crack, as it often happens. I noticed it from the ticking noise which became louder under load.

I was stupid enough to try welding it. Sure, my welds held well, but a month after it cracked again in another place. Fault by design, I presume.

So, I got an aftermarket Ebay kind of a manifold, $100 variety with bellows on sides. Hundreds of them for sale, $80-$120 with free shipping. Pulled the manifold second time.

First of all, I had trouble fitting it on. It just didn't want to go with intake manifold in place. When I (long after) pulled the gasket, found that one intake port and exhaust port were sitting right next to each other. Some grinding on the exhaust ports would have sorted this out.

Anyhow, I jammed it on. Shortly after fitting - surprise! Ticking is back again.
Pulled the manifold, for the THIRD time - found the reason. The ports on the aftermarket manifold don't sit where they're supposed to sit! Gasket holes didn't overlap properly with the manifold, and the gasket just blew in the thinnest place - wasnt even a hairline worth of gasket there.

Anyway, just an advice: check fitment with your gasket too, check how much actual gasket you have between the inside hole in gasket and the outside edge of the por! Don't just assume it's done properly by the manufacturer, since it's all made in China and they don't give a crap.

manif_welded.jpg   cracked_again.jpg   manif_new.jpg   manif_new_1.jpg   manif_new_2.jpg  

Last edited by shaban; 03-18-2013 at 05:59 AM..
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
fbv193
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Borla, expensive but worth it in my opinion. Have had mine for 10 years and 125 thousand or so miles, have 875 thousand more till the warranty runs out !
fbv193 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First thats not an OEM manifold. Its a cheap Chinese replacement. Do a search for the ones that last and have good fit up.
I weld the cracked ones Ive had with excellent result, though it takes 3-4 hours to clean-weld and normalize after welding.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Yes, I figured that's not OEM later, just don't know how to change a thread name now.

Anyway, regarding the welds - mine held well until it cracked in another place (where cylinder #4 pipe joins bigger pipe). Could have welded this one too but decided to go for a new manifold.

I'll be redrilling some mouning holes in this chinese manifold to ensure a better fit.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.