360 Fuel \ Exhaust problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 360 Fuel \ Exhaust problem

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 03-25-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
EvilJackBall

360 Fuel \ Exhaust problem

I have a 1980 Wagoneer w/ 360 , Motorcraft 2BBl , aftermarket electric fuel pump.

Here's the symptoms, not sure if it's carb, or a vacum/exhaust problem.

After sitting over night, or for a few hours, it will start up fine and run for about 10-15 minutes. After this time at high rpms it (basically anything over 1000 rpm, and even then it's dying) starts to sputter, and sounds like there is some exhaust back pressure when you get on the gas. Engine shuts off, and won't turn over for a while.

I though it was vapor lock, but nothing seems to be getting that hot, the fuel pump is generating a ton of fuel, the fuel filter is brand new, there is no pressure on the tank (from a bad cap or something). I've checked the jets, and both seem to spray fine right when it stops working, so it is getting fuel.

Note: It seemed to run fine up to about a weak ago, I replaced oil etc, new plugs, new fuel filter, new wires, basically a minor tune-up, now it's having the problems...

I'm thinking it might be some type of exhaust pressure, or vacuum leak causing this? Maybe some gas build up? Could a blockage in the tank return line cause this? If anyone has had a similar experience or something to look at, please post...I'm running out of ideas...thanks!

Last edited by EvilJackBall; 03-25-2004 at 02:40 PM..
EvilJackBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
jeeprme1

If your fuel filter has a return line on it, it needs to be on top so it doesn't vapor lock. Just an idea of something to check. Good Luck. P.S. Did you just put on the electric fuel pump when you changed the fuel filter, etc.?

Last edited by jeeprme1; 04-02-2004 at 10:08 PM..
jeeprme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
zookie85

When you say the motor wont turn over, do you mean it wont fire or nothing happens when you turn the key?
zookie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
EvilJackBall

Thanks for the suggestions, it turned out to be a fuel problem, not enough fuel getting to carb. When i checked my electric fuel pump and carb both seemed to be getting a ton of gas, when I put it all back together it stopped sending (I guess I should have noticed when the pump got real loud (no gas). Just adjusted some of the lines and it started right up....feel kind of stupid it was so easy to fix
EvilJackBall is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.