360 AMC I'm ready to pull my hair out! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 360 AMC I'm ready to pull my hair out!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
ChadsCherokee
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

360 AMC I'm ready to pull my hair out!

First off I have ran AMCs for a long time BUT this one has me stumped. Started off with a Reman that has been sitting for almost three years. Prelubed everything and added a mild cam. Upon start up it ran very strong BUT had no oil pressure? After some consideration I took the pump apart and stuffed vasolin in it. Started it back up and got 5psi at idle and it would only get up to about 25psi when accelerating. Checked everything about a half a dozen times still the same. By now I'm getting a low but definite knock out of the bottom end ARRGH!! So I got a brand new timing cover, oil pump gears, timing chain (old one snapped due to fuel pump block off plate having too long of bolts), Put it all back on, vaseline in the pump and started it back still only have 5psi- 25psi?!?! I did check the clearance on the pick up tube and I'm right a 1/2 inch. I've spent a lot of time and $$$ getting this project going not to mention almost two years building it. Only to be stopped by this. PLEASE HELP

ChadsCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
WVBLACKJEEP

360 AMC I'm ready to pull my hair out!

How are you reading the oil pressure via a gauge in the Jeep. If so try a manual oil pressure gauge connected to the port where the oil pressure switch is now. That shall give you a true reading from the engine and not a gauge. Check the pressure to see if the readings are correct. Or maybe change the oil pressure switch to see if that would change. But I suspect that you already have a new oil pressure switch installed already. Plus is there any oil that is pumping up to the rocker arms or not?
WVBLACKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
slickwillie

Just a thought, but after you packed the pump with vaseline, did you prime the pump manually before you started it? When I put my 360 in, I packed the pump with vaseline, then made a tool which slid into the distributor hole on the timing cover & engaged the oil pump. I used a variable speed drill to turn the oil pump & prime it up. I haven't had any oil pressure issues. Just something you might want to try.
slickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
ChadsCherokee
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

No, I haven't got a mechanics guage to try out. But I did try out two mechanical guages and even tried hooking up a electronic guage. They were all consistant. Getting oil throughout the engine I have volume but no pressure. No I never actually primed the pump I always just fill teh filter up with oil that way it get sucked right in and has a good amount of draw to it. I've done it that way dozens of times without any issues. BTW here's an update Pulled apart the actual block to check for debris and cleaned out a chunk of something?? Turned it over with coil unhooked and I'm shooting oil over my truck parked next to it! I think I have found my culprit but it may have cost me a bearing set.
Unread 08-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Traveller

There should also be a spring/piston in the pump that regulates pressure, make sure it's not out of whack.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
ChadsCherokee
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Yep checked that also put in the hihgher tension spring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.