35's replace rear ring and pinion or both. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 35's replace rear ring and pinion or both.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

35's replace rear ring and pinion or both.

So, should I replace both gears or just the rear to match tire size?

TJ_Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Your post makes no sense.

Rings & pinions are sets & must be replaced as such.

Front & rear axle ratios must match.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did clear up in another post that I suck at grammar...to make the transmission happy after putting 35's on you must change the rear end ring and pinion. I don't see anybody posting about changing the front ring and pinion. The question is, should I change both or just the rear?
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Again, leave it to me to read half your post and reply. Front and rear must match, and that make sense. I just wanted to be sure. You see my name right? Cherry popped.
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Virgin View Post
Again, leave it to me to read half your post and reply. Front and rear must match, and that make sense. I just wanted to be sure. You see my name right? Cherry popped.
Yes the front and rear gear ratio's must match or major driveline damage will occure if you ever put it into 4wd.If you never use 4wd the re-fear the rear only and pull the front driveshaft so you can not put it into 4wd and blow the t-case and/or driveshafts.
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

Yes the front and rear gear ratio's must match or major driveline damage will occure if you ever put it into 4wd.If you never use 4wd the re-fear the rear only and pull the front driveshaft so you can not put it into 4wd and blow the t-case and/or driveshafts.
This is 100% correct.

The only real exception to this rule concerns really extreme mud drag vehicles with huge power in sloppy mud conditions.

But for the rest of us, they must match.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep I just got had 4.56 in the rear and 4.10 in the front. Also blew the rear pinion and that's how I figured this all out.
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Cancel that last post. After a triple check the front is a 4.56 gear. Let me put this gear money back in my pocket.
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
tigrcky
1987 XJ Cherokee 

as others have said, replace both R&Ps. I must ask tho how did you manage to break the pinon gear? more importantly what rear axle are you running? the D35 or 8.25?
tigrcky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...I don't see anybody posting about changing the front ring and pinion...
I don't know where you get this. The majority of the gear ratio questions you see are people asking "What gears should I run with...?" The issue of front vs. rear isn't usually raised. Once in a while someone will ask "Can I just change the rear?" The universal answers that quickly show up are "If you want to just change the rear, you can't use 4wd" and "If you just change the rear, remove the front drive shaft".
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The rear is a D44. Mechanic said possibly cheap metal is the reason for the failure.
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
tigrcky
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The rear is a D44. Mechanic said possibly cheap metal is the reason for the failure.
go with yukon, redo BOTH to ensure that you have good stuff. and i hope and pray you have chromos with your front D30 or else you will hear a snap crackle pop when your locker is engaged went through 3 sets of shafts with my 34s and now im looking at a D44 front conversion
tigrcky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
TJ_Virgin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post

I don't know where you get this. The majority of the gear ratio questions you see are people asking "What gears should I run with...?" The issue of front vs. rear isn't usually raised. Once in a while someone will ask "Can I just change the rear?" The universal answers that quickly show up are "If you want to just change the rear, you can't use 4wd" and "If you just change the rear, remove the front drive shaft".
Im using the phone for my searching. Figured I'd ask. Seems logical to have them match but I didn't know for sure. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.