351W and AX15? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 351W and AX15?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
72Cat

351W and AX15?

Looking for opinions from those that would know.
While I had been planning on a 302, I recently found a good deal on a low mileage 351W. Now I'm not sure if it would be a good idea...

It would be going into a 2500# TJ on 30" tires. 70/30 street/light trail-more of a hot rod. Aluminum heads, decent roller cam, haven't decided on carb/FI.

Would an AX15 live long behind a 351 if I treated it nice? I could neuter the power band somewhat with the cam and heads and still have plenty of torque, but would still be looking at 350 horsepower (at least). I've got a 3550 that I could use (after a rebuild), but I've heard either would be questionable.

Thanks!

72Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You may want to look into a ford stick. That ax15 wouldn't last too long. That 3550 might work good. At least with ford tranny you won't gave to make or buy an adapter
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
72Cat

I know a 435/205 would be a good match, but don't really want to lose the overdrive, and would like to stay away from the "truck" style transmission.
Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it, too.
I was planning more on wheelspin than traction. That would be easy with lighter weight and 3.73's. Hooking up the tires would bring a quick death for sure. Not 5 grand clutch dumps, but steering with the throttle from roll-ons.
I read in another thread about a heavy duty rebuild on the AX that supposedly increased the torque rating to over 400 ft/lbs. My thinking is that a stock AX is rated at 300 ft/lbs in a 6000 lb vehicle, but I'm unsure how much more it would handle at a lower weight.
72Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.