350 swap questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 350 swap questions

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-05-2005, 03:09 AM   #1
a84jeepCJ7

350 swap questions

I am swapping a 350 from a 91 caprice police car into the 84 CJ. Right now I have manual steering and no a/c. Call me lazy, but I want to upgrade to power steering and a/c.

1. I have everything I need for the steering swap except a P/S pump. Just to make sure, I will need the p/s pump for the 350..right? The gear box and everything else is CJ.

2. On the a/c. I bought a complete a/c unit from someone, but I assume I will also need to get a a/c compressor for the 350 for it to work?

The only hard part I see is getting the hoses made for everything. Does anyone see any flaws in the plans? I know people have done this before, but couldn't find anything in the search. Thanks for the help.

Ken
84 CJ7

a84jeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
a84jeepCJ7

anyone? Beuler?
Unread 08-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
78jeeper258

to get the p/s to work, you need the jeep power steering components (box) and a chevy p/s pump so you won't have to worry about making your own brackets. The current one on your jeep may work but the pulley depth may be incorrect.

The a/c will need a chevy a/c compressor and the proper depth pulley. You will need the brackets to mount them to the engine, and the lines, as you said, will be the hardest part. Mst hydrolic shops can make these hoses for you ifd you have the cash.
78jeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
jeepnguns

The chevy and jeep pumps are almost identical. When I did my swap I used my jeep pump with chevy pullies and brackets. The only differance between the chevy and jeep pump is on of the lines is in a differant orientation.

Sorry I just read that you are using an LT-1 I now have know clue if it will fit.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
a84jeepCJ7

No, this is not a LT-1. I don't think they came out until..92 or 93. This is the older style (L98?) but with the vortec heads. So, my accessories should match up like yours. It came out of a police car (9c1 package) so it has the 4-bolt main, but I didn't want all the electronic stuff. I am going carbed on this one. Thanks for the info. Since I don't have P/S now I will try to find a Jeep P/S pump, but wouldn't the Chevy be cheaper and easier to find?
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
78jeeper258

Yes a c hevy p/s pump would be easier to find. I would look in the older vehicles in a junk yard, however, you may run into a worn out or totaly shot pump. I personally would have no problems going the junkyard route.
78jeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
jeepnguns

remember if you are going to swap the intake Vortec Heads have a differant bolt pattern then standard heads and need a specific manifold. Either pump should work fine.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.