350 Need a lot of help here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 350 Need a lot of help here

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-25-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
TDanks76
1979 CJ7 

350 Need a lot of help here

Ok I have access to a chevy 350 engine, to swap out my four cylinder. What else would I have to get for it? Transmission, transfercase? i don't wanna do axels. I figure I'll use these axels until they break. In a nut shell what do I need to get it in there. Would just a 4X4 transmission work or should I get a transmission transfer case combo deal? Any help here.

Unread 07-25-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
TDanks76
1979 CJ7 

NOS maybe?

Ok scrap the 350 idea Sorry. Didn't mean to take up space on this forum. But I'm still looking for more power out of my four cylinder. Already did the exhaust, intake, 4.0 TB, stuff. What could I do next? NOS? is NOS possible? Has anybody done that? or how easy would it be to do a 4.0 swap?
Forum operator could you change the name of this thread to something more suitable.
Unread 07-28-2002, 08:00 PM   #3
Franken-Jeep

I did a 350 swap

It was and still is a TON work work. I did put new axles in. I got the engine from a truck, so I got the Tranny and T-case too. I have to get custom driveshafts made which are about $450 for both. Custom engine mounts etc...etc....etc..... The biggest problem I have is re-wiring everything. I have never done any of this and I am learning fast. Let me know if you have any specific questions if you change your mind.

Greg
Unread 07-29-2002, 06:06 PM   #4
maamu

Fraken-Keep how much would you say your engine swap project has cost in money and time? are you doing all the work yourself? If you could start all over would you do it again?
-Mike
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
Franken-Jeep

Fraken-Keep how much would you say your engine swap project has cost in money and time?

MONEY - $5000 (INCLUDES TUB, ENGINE, LIFT KIT ALL NEW METAL TIRES/WHEELS) ENGINE ALONE, $1500 OR SO. PLUS ANOTHER 450 FOR CUSTOM DRIVE SHAFTS. REWIRING, I BOUGHT A "PAINLESS" KIT (300) AND RE-WIRED EVERYTHING.

TIME - HUNDRED HOURS FOR THE ENGINE CAUSE I HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THIS, EVER. LOTS OF CUSTOM WELDING TO ACCOMODATE THE GM STUFF.

are you doing all the work yourself?

MOSTLY, BUT I DID HAVE HELP WELDING.

If you could start all over would you do it again?

WELL, THE ANSWER TWO DAYS AGO WOULD HAVE BEEN "MAYBE". BUT YESTERDAY I FINISHED ALL THE WIRING AND THE DAMN ENGINE TURNED OVER AND FIRED UP!!! I WAS WAS SO THRILLED THAT I DID THIS MOSTLY BY MYSELF! I SAID "IF I CAN DO THIS, ICAN DO ANYTHING!" SO, I SIGNED UP TO COMPLETE MY MASTERS DEGREE TODAY!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg
Unread 08-02-2002, 05:24 PM   #6
cj5v8

Greg/Mike,

Check out http://www.advanceadapters.com
They have nearly everything for V8 swap-in. I bought engine mounts, headers, tranny adapter, transfer case adapter, and a chain pulley clutch linkage system (very clever). It is not really that difficult.

Brad
D30 front/D44 rear w/lockright
cj5v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #7
Eryl Flynn

Advanced Adapters rocks, but they aren't cheap. You should do every thing in your power to not use any thing from them.

I would use their or Novak Adapters motor mounts and depending on what tranny an adapter for it or the transfer case.
Eryl Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.