350 into CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 350 into CJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
mark123
1985 CJ7 

350 into CJ

This must have been talked about many times but I want to put a V8 into my '85 CJ-7. Could someone recommend a particular year donor vehicle to buy. I want something anyone could get in (wife) and turn the key and go and not have to screw around with a choke (winter in canada). Should I be looking for early '90s chev 4x4 with 350. I know I should keep my dana 300 but should I go with the donor trans or have my torqueflight 904 rebuilt/beefed up. I will either need an adapter for the transfer case or the transmission. A friend said I can have his '88 chev 2 wheel drive pickup with a 305, (70,000 miles) would it be worth using or should I look for a 350 with 4X4. I want an automatic transmission. Is there any sense considering a ford or dodge?

mark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
TWolff5050
1983 CJ7 

I am in the middle of shoehorning a 350 with a 700r4 tran in a 83CJ7. I used a 1988 chevy 2wheel and bought a advance adapter to the 300 trans I was told that the chevy tail adapter to the transfercase works with some modifacation to a couple of holes but you have to buy a spline adapter. On the Advance Adapter web Page there is vehicle config and this helps. as far as wiring there is a great post on the binder planet web site on tbi and computer from bill usn-1. I am off the next couple and I may get my build pictures up posted.
TWolff5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I just checked your profile (thanks for filling it out BTW). If power is the issue, running 35" with 3.50 gearing is going to suck the life out of any motor. A viable alternative to an expensive and entailed engine swap is to do a gear swap. A set of 4.11's or 4.88's would Wake the 258 back up. Couple that with an MC carb upgrade, you hav e a very reliable , moderately powerful engine with minimum of effort.
That being said, there are a number of options. Do a search up in the CJ forum, there are a couple of build posts that revolve around SBC Chevy swaps.
I'm not a fan of the 305 and would never spend the cash on one, but for free it is as good a start as any.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.