32RH Transmission wont shift after home rebuild, HELP!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 32RH Transmission wont shift after home rebuild, HELP!!!

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaspanKing View Post
So have you made any progress?

I got my engine and tranny back in last night. The flex plate is hitting the fly wheel, so it is a little noisy. That will be job #1 today.

It would seem that I have no first gear, I have reverse 2nd and 3rd. So job #2 will be a cable adjustment, hopefully that will work. If not then I will try a front band adjustment. Should that still not work I will have to go back in.
SeaspanKing, so you have this 32RH as well?

seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
SeaspanKing

Yep sure do
SeaspanKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
SeaspanKing

Ok so today I got underneath the jeep this afternoon. #1 I pulled the inspection plate off and it was being hit by the fly wheel, a little bit of work with a body hammer and it was fixed.

#2 I dealt with the tranny, first I looked at the linkages. The linkages turned out to be ok so I turned my attention to the front band. I backed the band off one turn, then two and lasty three turns still no first gear. I finger tightened the adjusting screw and then gave it two more turns with a ratchet, backing off 1/2 turn. I started up and put it in first gave it some throttle, and it worked. A short road test and all gears work.

Yea
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes!

I think there was a torque setting for the adjuster nut IIRC. It was in that scrib doc on google. Did you see it?

I just got mine back together and overfilled it like a dummy. So after losing 2quarts of ATF on the freeway and smoking out half of Washington with burnt fluid to exhaust smoke, I think I am also good.
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
SeaspanKing

Right on glad to hear it.

Congrats
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
SeaspanKing

72 inch pounds yep I saw it. That's how I got into this mess several months ago. I went to adjust my front band, I saw the 72 and just assumed foot pounds. 72 inch pounds equals 6 foot pounds. Not good when your torque wrench is set for 72 foot pounds, after a loud bang I new I was learning how to rebuild a transmission. Turns out the clutches and steels needed to be replaced anyways. It did feel good when the jeep was working again.

Anyways congrats again on getting your problem solved.
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #22
jon87yj

as I remember some of the rebuild kits send a spring that is too long for some of the transmissions (no idea why) and it can cause this issue.
jon87yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
72 inch pounds yep I saw it. That's how I got into this mess several months ago. I went to adjust my front band, I saw the 72 and just assumed foot pounds. 72 inch pounds equals 6 foot pounds. Not good when your torque wrench is set for 72 foot pounds, after a loud bang I new I was learning how to rebuild a transmission. Turns out the clutches and steels needed to be replaced anyways. It did feel good when the jeep was working again.
Yeah, I've done that before with a valve cover many many years ago, broke the stud of into the head. They should really just put it all into foot pounds. Now when I run into the inch lbs ratings I highlight them so I take note. Big difference between 150 foot lbs (should have read INCH) and 12.5 foot lbs.
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #24
SeaspanKing

Did you put a shift kit in when you did your rebuild?
Unread 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
sick93lx
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mine is also running well now after the adjustments. sometimes it forgets when it should be in first gear so i just manually put it in first, its shifts 2nd and 3rd like butter though. Went out mudding for 4 hours the other day an hour from my house and it drove like a top.

Going to mudfest with it this weekend.
sick93lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you put a shift kit in when you did your rebuild?
Me? No I did not. Mines not rebuilt, just one I found in a local yard with 70k on it. It was the best I could do at the time. I'm probably going to go to the ax-15 when this trans dies.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.