32rh transmission problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 32rh transmission problem

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
sicklogick
2002 TJ Wrangler 

32rh transmission problem

i have a TJ ('02) with the 32RH 3spd automatic. i bought it used, and it always had a little bit of a transmission issue, meaning sometimes (maybe once or twice a month) when i first started it cold, it seemed to have a hard time getting going, as if i was riding the clutch. it rarely happened so i never thought much of it.
so not too long after lifting it and adding the SYE, the transmission would actually slip sometimes. i tried a few additives but nothing helped. and then one awful day i was driving along at about 60mph and i started hearing and feeling a thump... it got worse and more frequent as i drove.
it's in bad shape
-if i shift into reverse i get a LOUD grinding noise
-if it's in park, i can actually push it and it will move and i can hear the gears skipping

my question... should i/can i rebuild? or find a replacement?

sicklogick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Sounds like your tcase went dry.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
sicklogick
2002 TJ Wrangler 

checked for leaks, didn't notice any...maybe the pump isn't working? The sye is relatively new.
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #4
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First that's not an exotic transmission, any qualified transmission shop should be able to handle it.

The things you describe seem to be different... slipping in park would have nothing to di with slipping in gear (different components entirely). Unless, maybe that other poster is on to something and it's t-case related.

Cold weather slipping could be the transmission itself, though slipping when cold could be a number of things (did someone replace cooler lines and leave out the check valve?)

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
sicklogick
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
First that's not an exotic transmission, any qualified transmission shop should be able to handle it.

The things you describe seem to be different... slipping in park would have nothing to di with slipping in gear (different components entirely). Unless, maybe that other poster is on to something and it's t-case related.

Cold weather slipping could be the transmission itself, though slipping when cold could be a number of things (did someone replace cooler lines and leave out the check valve?)
-obviously it's not an exotic transmission...it's in a jeep
-the two problems may involve different components, but they're problems that i have nonetheless
-what i meant by "cold" is the jeep temp, not the weather, like when it's been sitting overnight... the issue happened in summer too
and the only work done to the transmission is what i described in the post.
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
mmerlinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklogick View Post
-obviously it's not an exotic transmission...it's in a jeep
You miss the point.

It is not an exotic transmission because it has been the longest continuous run transmission EVER built. Chrysler started producing them in 1959, with them first showing up in 1960 model year vehicles. Yes, there have been a lot of changes over the decades, but it is still the same basic transmission. For example, most of the parts in your transmission will fit all the way back into late 1960s, with some of your parts even fitting in the first model year of the transmission.

And just because it is in a Jeep has no bearing on whether the transmission is exotic or not. To me, a Peugeot standard transmission, used in some Jeeps, is an exotic piece of JUNK.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
sicklogick
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post
You miss the point.

It is not an exotic transmission because it has been the longest continuous run transmission EVER built. Chrysler started producing them in 1959, with them first showing up in 1960 model year vehicles. Yes, there have been a lot of changes over the decades, but it is still the same basic transmission. For example, most of the parts in your transmission will fit all the way back into late 1960s, with some of your parts even fitting in the first model year of the transmission.

And just because it is in a Jeep has no bearing on whether the transmission is exotic or not. To me, a Peugeot standard transmission, used in some Jeeps, is an exotic piece of JUNK.

it's not that i missed your point, i just don't see how that point, or this useless history lesson answers my question.

i'm WELL aware that the transmission can be rebuilt, i've already gotten a couple quotes. what i'm looking for is an opinion or two, perhaps based on experience with a similar problem with the same transmission. since the majority of jeepers drive 5spds
judging from the symptoms i described, would it be worth it to rebuild or are the issues too severe?
or could the problem be more simple? (like the transfer case)
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

What I tried to point out is it's more likely the tcase that is skipping between gears (shifter out of adjust or something else) than the trans. Maybe the SYE you got was 27 spline and the tcase is only 21? It would fit over and skip inside making all sorts of noise.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
sicklogick
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i'm not exactly sure of the spline, i'll have to double check, but it ran fine for a good while, at least a few months of highway commuting and some off-roading. if the spline count didn't match up... would the skipping be immediate?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.