30+mpg jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 30+mpg jeep?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
patter5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

30+mpg jeep?

I was looking at a popular science magazine and saw a article for the VW Twin charger 1.4 TSI that puts out 172 hp and 177lbs of torque with 45mpg highway in a VW Golf(i think its called a rabbit here in USA) so i thought that if you could put this in a CJ7 that weighs a little over 3000lbs similar to the Golf you could have a pretty strong engine and get great gas milage. While this engine might not be as strong as a 4.0 it should out preform the 2.5/2.4s(125-147 hp 150-165 lbs) in the TJs, it would have more hp than any stock CJ and even with no aero dynamics you should still get at least 30mpg? so this could possibly make a nice daily driver or something to cruise around the lake with.
but, i don't really know anything about engine swapping or transmissions so correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
all i know that i got a 4.0 in my TJ and ZJ and i get 13 and 15mpg and don't do any real offroading so a drop in torque for 30+mpg sounds good to me.

patter5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
DJdave
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a really good idea. You should be the first to do it.
DJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
patter5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wish but i got no job and college to pay for
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
thriller954
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd rather steal Range Rover's new 4.4L turbo diesel and swap it into my Jeep. 300+hp and 30+mpg on a euro cycle. Plus the Rover is one heavy beast, so even in the Jeep you should get good numbers.

Report: 2011 Euro Range Rover to get 4.4L diesel, the ex-F-150 engine? — Autoblog
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

LS9. stupid hp, enough torque to move the world, and the better MPG in a 3100lb vette while cruising... BUT... a crate LS9 costs about as much as a Jeep does.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Best option for good highway mpg in a Jeep would be a diesel. By nature, they're more efficient at part load, so you can have a crap-load of power AND good mpg. Some easily removable (for off-road use) aero mods would help on the highway as well.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There is post in the YJ forum about doing a conversion with a Mercedes engine. I had a Mercedes with that engine and I expressed my thoughts. I think it would be a waste of money. I was verbal beat down for it, I did over state my point and that may have been part of the reason.

For the $ and hassle just buy a second car that gets the mileage. If you like a challenge and aren't concerned about money and a time line go for it.

To date there is nothing posted about the project being completed so I am not sure if it was successful. Another person who was working on it seemed near completion but there were still issues.

My issue with that motor is turbo lag. Somebody mentioned doing a swap with a VW TDI motor. Those motor don't make their power until the RPMs are built up. Not sure how ideal that is for off- roading, I guess it depends on how you wheel.

I just don't see the point in laying out all that money to rebuild or rely on a 10-30 year old motor, and then spend all the time and money to try to make it work in another vehicle just to get better mileage. If better mileage is the goal there are other vehicles you maybe want to consider.

Depending on the state you live in you could also have problems registering it.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

search for 4bt conversion.... Cummins Turbo Diesel puts out over 350ft lbs and after tweaks etc. can easily obtain 30mpg. Few people have done it, and hell, if I had the proper working knowledge of diesels, I'd do it too.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What about these?

Easy Jeep VW TDI Diesel Swap | Editorials Blog & Discussion at Jp Magazine
HPA Motorsports Inc. VW TDI Powered Jeep
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
patter5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i was going along the lines of being cheap and not seeing much off road but these all seem like good ideas, but for the price of most of them motors i could go with ross and just buy one of those prius things and get like 50 mpg
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I agree. Diesel is the way to go for power and economy. However, I wouldn't do a diesel swap for the sole purpose of gas mileage. A swap will cost you several grand. It's gonna take 10+ years if not more to recoup the cost of just the diesel swap with gas savings alone. Not to mention diesel is much more expensive than regular gas here in the US...
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Not to mention diesel is much more expensive than regular gas here in the US...
Which is unbelievably stupid, yet is the case nonetheless.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
Vw , 1.4L , 1.4 TSI , MPG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.