3 freeze plugs not 5 in new block - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 3 freeze plugs not 5 in new block

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
mudmizer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

3 freeze plugs not 5 in new block

Hey everyone, I have an 88 XJ that needs a new engine and I purchased another 88XJ with a well running engine. Both are 4.0 (242). I pulled the donor engine and when I was power washing it I noticed the block has 3 large freeze plugs, but the original block has 5 along the drivers side. Everything else looks to be identical and I think it will work just fine but why the difference in the plugs. Both XJs are 1988. I got mine from the original owner so I know the engine is original but maybe the donor is not. Which 4.0 engines have 3 large freeze plugs?
Thanks

mudmizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
mudmizer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I've looked around on this freeze plug issue and this donor engine may be an amc 258. Other than the freeze plugs everything looks identical. If it is the 258 will i still be able to use this engine? I want to use my original intake manifold. I think I can still do this.
Any ideas thoughts?
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Get teh numbers off the side of the block to be sure. And no, a 258 isn't a good swap.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
mudmizer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

OK, I ran the block # 8933002665 and it does come back as a 87-90 4.0 That's good news. I was basing my thought that it may be a 258 due to the only picture I have been able to find in a google search of a I-6 block with 3 big (2") and 2 small (about 1") freeze plugs was stated to be a 4.2-258. My original motor has 5, 2" freeze plugs on the manifold side OOOOO but the other motor looks like this OoOoO. Good news is the block casting # comes back to a 4.0. So I guess the 4.0 came in both freeze plug layouts although all the pictures I have looked at, tons of them, all show 5 large plugs. The motor in question is an injected serpentine set up. From what I have found on this site the 4.2 is a carbureted engine but can be converted.

Thanks for the help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.