3.7 2005 Overheated Now Missing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 3.7 2005 Overheated Now Missing

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
restrantek
2005 WK 

3.7 2005 Overheated Now Missing

My Grand Cherokee overheated. Replaced radiator, thermostat (Super Flow), water pump seems ok, not leaking and impeller is not loose or wobbly. Lower hose seems too cool, top hose is extremely hot. Temp seems OK idling but Guage goes to max when I drive it a short distance. Radiator fan does comes on.

When I disconnect lower hose water flows out so probably not clogged.

Now it idles rough and misses badly. All plugs changed and coils seem good. Still overheating! I see no smoke coming out of exhaust pipe and hear no 'leaking'
sounds. Still missing. I got codes P0300, P0302, P0175

I think vacuums are good. Put Lucas for injector cleaning.

I would like to solve the over-heating issue first if they are unrelated.
Perplexed

restrantek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Gotta change that water pump. If the impeller broke off you'll have no coolant flow. Got to do it and verify the water pump works.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
restrantek
2005 WK 

Thanks JMH21814
Water pump is good. I took out the t-stat and engine is running normal temp with just water. Antifreeze once I'm sure it's cooling. Perhaps two bad (new) t-stats? Not likely! Now on to the missing issue. One battle at a time.
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
restrantek
2005 WK 

Jeep 3.7 Mis-Fire

Would you change the crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensors before replacing the fuel injectors?
Unread 08-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Lets start with dtc codes:
P0175: system too rich bank 2
P0300: random/multiple misfires
P0302: misfire cylinder 2

Based on these codes and what you are describing, I would not be considering injectors, crank, or cam sensors at all. At least, not yet. You need to do some diag, don't just throw sensors at it.

Was it skipping first, then you changed the plugs? Or did you change the plugs then it started skipping? When you say it overheated, do you mean close to red or actually into the red? If into the red, how long was it there? Have you done a compression test on cylinder 2? Wet and dry? How about a leak down test? Did you verify fuel pressures?

I know it sounds like a lot to do, but you can rent most or all of these tools from parts stores and find procedures on line or YouTube. Diagnose the problem, don't just throw parts at it and hope something works.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
mndog75
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure stat is in correctly,not backward.Not doubting your mechanical skills just something to check.
mndog75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.