3.54 Gears with 33" tires. Is it ok - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 3.54 Gears with 33" tires. Is it ok

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
JeepHall
1984 CJ7 

3.54 Gears with 33" tires. Is it ok

Are 3.54's ok for 33" Tires
I am having a hard time finding axle's I want in my (short term) budget. I have either a 3.54 or 3.73 in my rear amc 20 and looks like 2.73 in my front dana 30. I am trying to have the jeep done by the end of the month and don't have the money to spend on axle's right now. I just found on a local site a set of wide track axles with 2.73's and a set of narrow track with 3.54's both amc 20 and dana 30's. I am thinking of getting the axles and swapping the gears out to the 3.54's are in the wide track and putting those on. Oh and I am paying 130 for both sets and a set of 4" lift springs.

So can I get away with the 3.54's short term? When I build axle's for the jeep I am going to go 4.10 or 4.56 on better axle's and will probable step up tires to 35's or so. I also just found a dana 60 with posi for under $200 but can't afford to have them built for a while. The guy as two one is a 4.10 the other 4.56 but like I said can't afford to have them cut down for a while.

I guess all I really want is something that is going to survive a few trips around town and one trip to moab (mellow) until later in the summer. Will the 33's and 3.54's work

Also does anyone want the 4" lift springs? They would be VERY cheap.

I have a 4.2 and a 5 speed.

JeepHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
CJ8Ted
1985 CJ8 

I have 4.2 T5 and 33s with 4.56s and would not want any higher diff ratio. Will it work, I guess so. Not too bad of a price for all that stuff if it can be run. Bearings and seals are most likely shot. I would pull the covers on yours to see if they match and what ratio they are. You might have 3.31 and it would not be worth the hassle.

Ted
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Beefalobart
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I snatched a set of axles from a 2.5 Liter YJ, they were the normal Dana 30/35 combo in 4.10 and I run 33" KM2s with no problems, friend has same axles in his 2.5L YJ and same tires. Mine is a YJ with 4.0
Beefalobart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Blkholetj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am finishing up my build now so I have no road time but I have a TJ with 3.55 gears and 33's. I am running a 4.0 and AW4. Just driving it around the yard and the neighborhood it has plenty of low end for now. I will probably be looking into 4.10's as money allows though.
Blkholetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.