258or304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 258or304

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-18-2002, 11:47 AM   #1
jp7

258or304

I have a few questions if I can get some answeres or opions,thanks.I have both a 258 and a 304 to install in a cj-7 should I put a intake,carb,and headers on the 304 or do the same on the 258 and do a head swap?which one would give the best performance on the road and dirt,how much does the 304 weigh what does the 258 weigh?I thank I've got a rear 44 with a det.locker and 4-11 gears wont know til weekend for sure.or blow it all off and go with a 350? please help with your thoughts.thanks!!!!!!!!!

jp7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2002, 12:46 PM   #2
Bulletproofcj7

If you go to the search option on this board and type 304 you will find numerous discussions on your question.
Personally I built a 304 that works great for me.
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2002, 08:32 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

258 or 304 is personal preference.

I had a 258 in my last CJ that I built with Clifford Performance products (390 Holley 4-BBL on a 4-BBL Clifford Water Heated Aluminum Intake, Dual Exhaust Clifford Headers mated to a 2 1/2" custom exhaust run all the way out the back, and Mild Duration Cam). It was a great performer and great daily driver, and when I went to a gas station, people used to ask me if it was a 350 in there, and they S**T when I said it was an inline 6 It was fun and different engine that many people don't see everyday, so it gets attention.

My next Jeep listed below in my signature has a 360, and I have yet to drive it around to experience it. My next frame-up build will be getting a 401.

So, basically, do whatever you feel like and whatever you think will be most fun. a 350 swap will be more costly due to the adapters you will need, etc., and you can get plenty of performance out of a 304, if you decide to go V8.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2002, 09:56 AM   #4
jrejle

I have a 1974 CJ5 w/ a stock 258 and I just filled up and got 17 miles to the gallon and thats w/ points and a carter one barrell carb! The only plans I have for it "may" be a switch to electronic ignition and a weber carb. I think the 258 has plenty of torque and I would rather put the money into the x fer case, lockers, and other drivetrain mods. If you want to go fast buy a muscle car!

Jim
jrejle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.