258 vs 258? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 258 vs 258?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
syphonation
1982 CJ8 

258 vs 258?

hey guys, i have a quick question. i recently bought an 82 scrambler, and it came with an extra motor. the seller knew nothing about whether it ran or not, and i haven't had time to really investigate. however, the motor that's currently installed is ticking pretty bad. i figure either a valve sticking or a rocker arm.

upon closer inspection, the "extra" motor appears to be the original to the scrambler, as the motor that's in it is older. i'm just wondering if there's a way to pinpoint what year this motor was built - or were the 258's back then all interchangable in terms of internal parts?

i'm hoping i can use the donor motor for parts if i need them, but in the instance it's no good and i have to buy something, i'm going to be in a bind not knowing what year cj my motor came from.

syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

engine casting number on the block is one way you can find out. as far as i know, internals should be interchangeable, unless one of them has had some work done inside, ie: rebuilt and bored out, non-stock cam, etc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.