258 rattles under load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 258 rattles under load

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
zx150

258 rattles under load

I've got a 258 with 80K or so on a rebuild. A year or two ago it started rattling only under very heavy load pretty much only on steep HWY inclines at 70+ MPH. It's been getting progressively worse and now does it on every hill or when you give it a decent amount of throttle.

The best way to describe the noise is like the rattle of a diesel engine. Is this ping or do I need to check and adjust the valve lash?

zx150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
DaemonForce

What is your gearing and how long ago did you change the oil?
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
zx150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce View Post
What is your gearing and how long ago did you change the oil?
Gearing is 2.35 and just changed the oil last week. Oil gets changed in this one religiously.
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
DaemonForce

Your gearing is unusually high, I get the same thing with my 2.73 gearing but I'm willing to bet I deal with less noise. It might be time to swap gears.

The engine oil is another matter that needs to be monitored carefully. If you have excessive blowby or usage like I did you'll probably want to look into doing an overhaul soon.
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
zx150

Quote:
Your gearing is unusually high, I get the same thing with my 2.73 gearing but I'm willing to bet I deal with less noise. It might be time to swap gears.

The engine oil is another matter that needs to be monitored carefully. If you have excessive blowby or usage like I did you'll probably want to look into doing an overhaul soon.
It's stock gearing for an AMC Eagle and the engine is a very recent rebuild. Fuel mileage is great so I'm leaving the gearing alone.

Oil wise at every oil change it's never really been black. It's still pretty clear when it drains out.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
DaemonForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
It's stock gearing for an AMC Eagle and the engine is a very recent rebuild. Fuel mileage is great so I'm leaving the gearing alone.
Sure, until you need to pull it up anything more than a 2% incline above 60mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
Oil wise at every oil change it's never really been black. It's still pretty clear when it drains out.
So the engine is far from tired. What kind of reading are you getting from oil pressure?
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Check your ignition timing and set it to factory spec.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
zx150

Quote:
Sure, until you need to pull it up anything more than a 2% incline above 60mph.

So the engine is far from tired. What kind of reading are you getting from oil pressure?
This is a daily driver, not a wheeler. I have no problem pulling Vail Pass(10K FT) and climbing up to Eisenhower Tunnel(11K FT) at 70+ without having my foot way into the pedal. Both of those routes are 7% or more.

Oil pressure is right where it should be and compression is between 140-150 across the board.

It's not lacking power or anything like that but just making noticeable noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Check your ignition timing and set it to factory spec.
Will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.