258 problems under full load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 258 problems under full load

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

258 problems under full load

Hey guys, I'm having problems with my 258. My girlfriend first noticed the problem while taking the Jeep to work on the highway. It will not do over 50-55. Driving around town it runs great (under partial throttle) and it revs without a hiccup while parked. The problem occurs when the rpms are around 2k and you give it heavy throttle while driving. It sounds like it is reving like crazy. I've never heard the motor sound like that before. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? i'm thinking it isn't getting enough spark/juice under load. Thanks for any help

Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

A couple of other notes, my plugs look like it is burning a little rich. Also the fuel pump and filter arent very old. I dont put many miles on the Jeep.
Unread 05-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

You may be right, its hard to say without being there and looking at it. Look at the spark and see if its weak/strong, you should see a nice pinkish/purple spark and it should be able to jump around a half inch gap or so. Your problem sounds like it might be a fuel concern or weak ignition system but sounds like you have a good fuel supply. Maybe check the coil and spark quality, wires, cap and rotor and ignition timing.

Check the obvious stuff too like air filter, and throttle linkage to see if you are getting WOT, make sure the choke plate is not sticking closed. Also its possible that the fuel filter could be stopped up from debris in the tank or dirty/bad fuel.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestions. Everything with the carb seems fine, the choke plate is functioning normally. I will grab a fuel filter and switch that out. I played with the timing but that didn't make a difference. What is the best way to check the coil and spark quality? I wish I could explain it better. When I dump the throttle it sounds like I have a V8! Part of that could be the leak between the manifold and the down pipe though.
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Try this vacuum test.
CRUISER’S VACUUM TEST FOR EXHAUST RESTRICTION

Your vacuum gauge should come with an instruction booklet outlining the procedure. Hook the vacuum gauge up to a source on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Usually 17 to 21 inches of vacuum. Throttle the engine up to 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 20 seconds or so and the vacuum reading should stabilize to the same reading you got at idle. Let the throttle snap shut. The vacuum reading should shoot up about 5 inches of vacuum higher for a second and then come quickly down to the original reading. If the vacuum reading stays high and comes down slowly with jerky needle movements, you have an exhaust restriction.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
james04si

1977 CJ5 

When going at 50 and you press the gas does it do more than just sound like its revving? If it is actually revving it could be your clutch slipping.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si View Post
When going at 50 and you press the gas does it do more than just sound like its revving? If it is actually revving it could be your clutch slipping.
No its not actually revving. The motor just sounds like a beast at WOT
Unread 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Try this vacuum test.
CRUISERíS VACUUM TEST FOR EXHAUST RESTRICTION

Your vacuum gauge should come with an instruction booklet outlining the procedure. Hook the vacuum gauge up to a source on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Usually 17 to 21 inches of vacuum. Throttle the engine up to 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 20 seconds or so and the vacuum reading should stabilize to the same reading you got at idle. Let the throttle snap shut. The vacuum reading should shoot up about 5 inches of vacuum higher for a second and then come quickly down to the original reading. If the vacuum reading stays high and comes down slowly with jerky needle movements, you have an exhaust restriction.
I'm gonna go pick up a vacuum guage this afternoon. I am leaning towards exhaust restriction too. I'll let you know what I find!
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It was the cat. I have an exhaust leak upstream from there that was causing the brutal sound.
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Did you find the solution using the vacuum gauge?
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

No I didn't. Either I didn't follow the instructions well or there wasn't enough of a blockage unless it was under load. I just got curious and tapped it with a hammer and hear the loose honeycomb bouncing around.
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
No I didn't. Either I didn't follow the instructions well or there wasn't enough of a blockage unless it was under load. I just got curious and tapped it with a hammer and hear the loose honeycomb bouncing around.

Lucky dog.........

Glad to hear you found it.
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks man. It was a lucky catch. Me and my friends were pretty puzzled.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.