258 Engine in CJ7 loosing coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 258 Engine in CJ7 loosing coolant

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
PCWade
1981 CJ7 

258 Engine in CJ7 loosing coolant

Hi folks.
I have the '81 CJ - 2 barrel Carter carb. 258 6. OK, it's not new, and it's somewhat of a bastard - later model head on an old remanufactured block. (All pre-dating injection) It makes coolant disappear. The engine runs well, except it has recently developed an erratic skip at highway speed only. I can top off the coolant overflow and drive it for a day and the coolant is back down to just what is expelled during heat-up. No indication of a water pump leak, No tell-tale coolant pools when it's parked. I have noticed that only occasionally, when I start it when hot, it throws out a white cloud - could be coolant, but only now and then. I was thinking 'valve stem seals'. It is as if it has to stop in a particular position for the accumulation of -something- in the cylinder or exhaust system. The oil is clean - no foam and no milky look.
Will one of you 258 CI gurus help me troubleshoot this problem? I do most of my work, but I don't want to just blindly start tearing it apart.
Thanks,
Phillip

PCWade is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.