258 4.2 AMC Cams - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Crazyredneck87
Registered User
1984 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 45
258 4.2 AMC Cams

So Overall on the 4.2 for Cams I have looked into the Clifford Cam and Looked at a few from Comp and Crane.

My biggest thing is the High Torque cam from Clifford seems like a decent cam for the purpose I am looking to build my motor for but the price seems rather steep in my opinon.

Now is there any alternatives to the Clifford Cam in a high torque 4.2.

Mainly this jeep will see the trails and some highway use so I want a good balance between the two but the cam is just kicking my butt.

I plan to go with the SBC 350 Valves in the 4.2 Head Ported and all that fun stuff.

40 Over

Clifford Intake and Split Headers.

As well getting rid of the HEI and going with a Mallory Point Distributor getting rid of the computer.
Carb will either be the Weber 38/38 or the Holley 390

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Crazyredneck87 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 PM
jeepdj5
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 865
The 258 is a strong motor to begin with, mods like that don't help much

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyredneck87 View Post
So Overall on the 4.2 for Cams I have looked into the Clifford Cam and Looked at a few from Comp and Crane.

My biggest thing is the High Torque cam from Clifford seems like a decent cam for the purpose I am looking to build my motor for but the price seems rather steep in my opinon.

Now is there any alternatives to the Clifford Cam in a high torque 4.2.

Mainly this jeep will see the trails and some highway use so I want a good balance between the two but the cam is just kicking my butt.

I plan to go with the SBC 350 Valves in the 4.2 Head Ported and all that fun stuff.

40 Over

Clifford Intake and Split Headers.

As well getting rid of the HEI and going with a Mallory Point Distributor getting rid of the computer.
Carb will either be the Weber 38/38 or the Holley 390

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You don't have HEI. You have Dura-spark or something like that. Changing to HEI makes a world of difference. Search "jeep hei". Cam ain't worth it.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 AM
jeepdj5
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54

You don't have HEI. You have Dura-spark or something like that. Changing to HEI makes a world of difference. Search "jeep hei". Cam ain't worth it.
Haha for got to mention I got one on eBay for $65 it has the clear cap! My engine is a mess in that picture I have cleaned it up a lot, I also got bjs metal valve cover

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
Attached Thumbnails
image-212568432.jpg  
jeepdj5 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,034
Why not keep the HEI?

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM
jeepdj5
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54
Why not keep the HEI?
What do you mean I did keep it!!! I got bjs valve cover and cleaned up the engine bay, looks better now but no picture.. HEI IS SWEET

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdj5 View Post
What do you mean I did keep it!!! I got bjs valve cover and cleaned up the engine bay, looks better now but no picture.. HEI IS SWEET

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
I was referring to the OP!!! LOL.

You have a real nice HEI, but a cluttered engine bay...............

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM
jeepdj5
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54

I was referring to the OP!!! LOL.

You have a real nice HEI, but a cluttered engine bay...............
I said I have cleaned the engine bay, that's when I put the HEI in, that was this summer! It looks much better but it's not done

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 AM
jeepdj5
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyredneck87
So Overall on the 4.2 for Cams I have looked into the Clifford Cam and Looked at a few from Comp and Crane.

My biggest thing is the High Torque cam from Clifford seems like a decent cam for the purpose I am looking to build my motor for but the price seems rather steep in my opinon.

Now is there any alternatives to the Clifford Cam in a high torque 4.2.

Mainly this jeep will see the trails and some highway use so I want a good balance between the two but the cam is just kicking my butt.

I plan to go with the SBC 350 Valves in the 4.2 Head Ported and all that fun stuff.

40 Over

Clifford Intake and Split Headers.

As well getting rid of the HEI and going with a Mallory Point Distributor getting rid of the computer.
Carb will either be the Weber 38/38 or the Holley 390

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh dident see that! KEEP THAT HEI

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdj5 View Post
Oh dident see that! KEEP THAT HEI

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
LOL. Just giving you some crap.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you'll want to check this out.

An index to over 30 write-ups can be found in the link below

www.cruiser54.com

My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
jeepdj5
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54

LOL. Just giving you some crap.
Yah

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
jeepdj5 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome