242 questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 242 questions

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
slprwgn

242 questions

please dont flame me too badly lol

but can someone please explain the 4 part time of the 242... i dont understand where people say its not good to drive on the pavement with it in part time.. doesnt seem to make sense to me... trying to sort out the 242 because i am a full time offroad rig and am thinking of going to a 231 but people talk about how they like the 242 a lot...

just trying to get a dumbed down explanation of the power distribution and what not i guess

i have searched but gotten a lot of deep convo that was above my head... any dumbed down advice would be appreciated!

thanks

slprwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest you use the Google and read some older threads about how 231/242 part time 4x4 works.
Here is one to read from the Google -> http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm

The other threads are correct, Part-Time 4x4 is for use on slippery surfaces ONLY, such as dirt, mud, snow, 4x4 trails, etc. Do Not use Part-Time on paved roads.

The 242 Full-Time position can be used anywhere, anytime, for as long as you like, because it has an extra differential inside the transfer case to relieve drive-line binding.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
slprwgn

So in mud would part time be better than full time? And I mean deep mud not just slippery surface mud?
slprwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, use Part-Time whenever you are off-road.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.