232 vs 258 Mods and Identification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 232 vs 258 Mods and Identification

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-17-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
Orange Juice

232 vs 258 Mods and Identification

Asked this ? in the CJ forum a few days ago, but nobody answered. Maybe this would be a better place for it.

Recently bought 74 CJ5 and was told it has a 232. Considering the age of it, I don't know if the engine is the original or not so looking at the VIN probably wouldn't matter. Is there an easy way of telling the difference between the 232 and 258?

As far as performance mods, from what I understand, the only difference in 232 and 258 is that the 258 has a longer stroke. I would assume the same parts work on each engine, but will the same mods work? I want to upgrade carb/intake, but also started reading about the 4.0 head conversion and am also considering that too.

I have been reading thru the many posts here, but haven't seen anything posted about which mods will/will not work on both engines. Thanks

Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2004, 12:15 AM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Asked this ? in the CJ forum a few days ago, but nobody answered. Maybe this would be a better place for it.

Recently bought 74 CJ5 and was told it has a 232. Considering the age of it, I don't know if the engine is the original or not so looking at the VIN probably wouldn't matter. Is there an easy way of telling the difference between the 232 and 258?

As far as performance mods, from what I understand, the only difference in 232 and 258 is that the 258 has a longer stroke. I would assume the same parts work on each engine, but will the same mods work? I want to upgrade carb/intake, but also started reading about the 4.0 head conversion and am also considering that too.

I have been reading thru the many posts here, but haven't seen anything posted about which mods will/will not work on both engines. Thanks
can't help with the mods, but to tell the two apart, you need to look at the casting numbers on the block. one starts with an "A" and the other with an "E" if i remember right. was looking at a 76 CJ-5 but it was sold before i could get it and now for the life of me i can't remember which is which. I do remember that i found the answer on Pirate's board. They're having tech difficulties now or i would look it up for you. I believe the A was the 258. maybe someone with a 258 can look for you and see. I think the numbers were on the passenger side of the block, just below the head but i'm not 100% sure of that. HTH

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.