225 ignition question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > 225 ignition question

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 02-28-2002, 11:14 PM   #1
GRUB

225 ignition question

I attempted to swap in a HEI distributor from a late 70's buick 3.8 onto the 225. Everything was going good until I tried putting the huge HEI cap on, and wouldn't you know it, it would not clear the forward most intake manifold bolt. Tried a socket head capscrew bolt, still no joy. Has anyone tried this and been successful? If so how? I don't think changing manifolds is the answer, seems the water jacket would be off unless I changed heads as well. Any answers appreciated. I did get it running after cutting a small hole in the cap, but could not get enough movement to set the timing correctly. I guess I need to just spend the $80 bucks for the kit and quit scrounging.

"The Grub"
GRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

first, the HEI is off an odd fire I hope since the evenfire will work but not right. I installed one in mine by grinding down the manifold and using a ground down header bolt. Fiddle with the dist. placement until it fits.BEWARE the #1 cyl. wire MUST go to the tower marked 1.The oddfire uses uneven firing pulses and if you don't put the wires on properly it will never run right.FYI the 225V6 is the best engine ever offered by Jeep(I think). 160hp, 235ft.lb.of torque(10 less than the 304),good gas milage, and cheap to maintain.Performance parts are still out there.Melling makes a high volume oil pump that is a must.I've been running one for 18 years. if you have any questions feel free to E mail me.jeepdaddy2000@cs.com
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:36 AM   #3
GRUB

Thanks for the info jeepdaddy. I guess it was oddfire, came off a 76 buick i found in used parts yard. To keep me from posting a 5 page Q & A, where can I find info regarding which years are what, parts interchange, etc... I found a site for the 225, but info was scarce, I can't even remember the name of the site now. Anyway, I'm real happy with the performance. Grubs got 33's on her, however, I'm going back to 31's, but she pulls hard. Did a carb swap a few months back, seemed to help to shed the rochester. Any info on where to find 225 info appreciated. thanks
"The Grub"
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

You got the right one.Almost nothing will interchange after 77 as the motor went through a major revision. I don't know what you want to interchange, but your local hot rod shop should be able to get anything you need.PS you might want to go back to the wrecking yard and get the power steering pump, pulleys,box, and brackets for your power steering conversion.
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:47 AM   #5
GRUB

Thanks jeepdaddy. I read your post on the guy who just got the jeep and wanted to know what to do with it, couldn't agree with your reply more. I just hope the ole heap is still there, it had a big yeller X on the windshield and they're due to crush anytime now. Guess I better head that way this weekend. If I got the right one, why would it not clear the intake bolt? I filed down a portion of the manifold, and nearly filed the head off a socket head capscrew and it still would not clear the cap without cutting a window in the cap for the head to poke through. didn't think that was a good idea, so that's why I gave up on it and put the old one back in. Do I need to get the heads and intake off the heap, I could probably get it all for $75. Place is fairly cheap.
"The Grub"
Unread 03-07-2002, 09:40 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

I don't think the heads will interchange. You might want to go look at the manifold on the old engine and see if there is anything different. To be honest, it took me about 4 hours of farding around before I got mine working.This process involved stabbing the dist. about a dozen times in different locations before finding the exact right spot. The nice thing is when you set the timing you never have to touch the dist. again.You will probably have to reroute the exhaust/buy headers(YUCK)to get the steering in, but the differance is unbelievable and there is nothing like 1 finger steering in the boonies.I'm running a 71 225 with HEI,headers(YUCK),Melling high volume oil pump, Offy 360 intake with a holly 450 economaster,and a RV cam. I get about 20 mpg(down from 25 with the stock motor and running gear).It always starts, always runs, never dies, and that is what it's all about! good luck and E mail me with your mods.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.